Sign in to follow this  

08 CRF450 mid-stroke

I'm thinking in removing the mid-valve spring to improve mid-stroke, and would like to hear from anybody who did that. I also drilled the spring seats.

Please send comments, thanks.

001.jpg

I'm thinking in removing the mid-valve spring to improve mid-stroke, and would like to hear from anybody who did that. I also drilled the spring seats.

The relationship between the mid-valve and mid-stroke is not what you think it is. In fact, the mid-valve has nothing to do with rod or fork position, (aside from the function of rod acceleration). The name is a reference to speed at which the fork is compressing.

And that modification to that spring perch will not yield any noticable changes to the ride quality of the bike...under most situations.

If I understand you correctly you are wanting to remove the spring for the mid valve but leave everything else in tact?

Yes, just remove the spring and leave the valving alone.

DaveJ, thanks for your reply, you sound pretty knowledgeable and I believe you but I did notice a change by porting the spring seat on a 06 CRF250, I drilled this one cuz its much easier, maybe you cant improve the ride but that spring seat is very restrictive, Honda changed the spring seat on the CRF250R 2009 for a KYB style.

I have seen the mid valve with the spring removed, there is a suspension shop here in Michigan that does it as a mod. I think you might find that it would change the feel; I not sure if I like the idea of the shims floating or fluttering around but try it and let us know.

The guy who had this mod (change) on his bike like it.

The porting to the valve seat isn't going to make a significant difference. Whatever differences you notice are going to be relatively minute.

To solve the midvalve issues you have, your best bet is to revalve the forks (Both Base Valve and Mid Valve). You will eventually want to revalve the shock once you get the forks feeling the way you want. It will probably become a never ending process because as you get faster, your suspension demands change.

If you are already able to dig into your forks and stuff, then valving should be a piece of cake to you. I would go to the CRF450R forums and read the DIY CRF450R Revalve thread at the top. Great info! Plus theDogger should be able to provide you complete stacks based on your weight, riding style, type, and speed.

001.jpg

you can get rid of the spring and it does help the cause. :smashpc: