Sign in to follow this  

DG O-series slip on review...

I'd been looking at silencers for my DRZ-S for a while but wasn't excited about paying almost $300 for a FMF-Q pipe. If I had the extra $$ I probably would have gone for the FMF but I was holding off. Then I read an article in Dirt Bike magazine about the DG Os series they had installed on an XR400 http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=4963B2F3CFE94AD987ABBF1B45C376E0

and liked what I read - quality silencer, nice power gains, quiet insert, American made, and low cost. I ordered mine from dennis kirk for $210, but they don't sell the quiet insert. As far as I can see none of the vendors stock the q-insert either. I had to call DG and order direct. They were easy to deal with and shipped it right to me for $25. So I've got about $235 in the pipe.

First impression: When I unpacked the silencer it looked pretty well made. not as nice as an FMF but still looked good - nice welds, end cap, fasteners. Light weight. The DG mid pipe is about 2cm wider in diameter which probably helps with the flow.

Install: PITA. The opening in the DG mid pipe was just a few thousanths too small for the header to slip in so I had to sand the end of the header with sanding discs to take off just enough to get the DG to slip over it. Also the nut plate welded to the pipe where the foot peg bracket/bolt goes was off by maybe 2cm, so I had to fab a new bracket (I was looking for an excuse to remove the foot pegs anyway) as you can see in the pic. So a 45 min job took 4 hrs - luckily I had the tools and material for the unexpected mod. So I finally got it installed fired the beast up. Without the q-insert the pipe is way to loud for my taste. I really prefer a quiet pipe for stealth. The insert quieted it down considerably, but the exhaust was blowing on my largish license tag which really amplified the exhaust note and made my tag flap at the same rpm as the eng...DG isn't at fault here as I've got a bigger tag and I fabbed the holder which puts it right in the way. Back to the drawing board...I've seen a bike somewhere that had the muffler tip turned down at 90 deg, so I took that idea. I picked up a 1" stainless tubing elbow at the local metal supplier and took it to have it welded to the quiet insert. This seems to have knocked the Db's down even further - maybe because its pointing at the ground but its really quiet now - probably quieter than an FMF Q-series I ran on my XR650.

Test ride: I had done the 3X3 and installed a JD jetting kit on the bike a few weeks prior to installing this pipe - I had it dialed per the JD's recommendations and tweaked it here and there to get what I thought was an optimal setting. The bike was quite a bit better than stock at that point. After the DG slip on the bike absolutely rips now, huge gain throughout the entire range. I didn't change the jetting for the pipe so maybe I was too rich before hand, but I'm more than happy with the performance gains. The exhaust note is quiet but has a really nice tone.

Overall, I'd say this pipe is good for a guy is looking for the extra performance on a budget, but doesn't mind some extra work to get things right - I'm more than happy with it, but it was definately not an easy install. And DG, if you read this - you need to throw some stickers in the box!I had to buy mine off ebay:excuseme:

DSCF3109.jpg

DSCF3110.jpg

DSCF3111.jpg

Edited by xrflogger
add info

Interesting, I have a 2011 DRZ 400 S and I bought the same pipe and it slips on fine, but the pipe seems to be about a half an inch too long becuase you cant slip it on past the raised ring on the header end. It looks like the DG pipe needs to be cut at the end a half inch and then it will all line up, currently none of the mounts are lined up, they are all exactly the same amount off. Did they change the design of the header on later models?

UPDATE: I have the R series pipe, and it fits just fine, the old gasket was still on the header, it looked like an aluminum ring being so new, I just got a screwdriver and tapped it off and the pipe slipped on perfecty. The guys at DG were great and very helpul.

Edited by flyingw

Just picked up the same muffler and I am having install troubles as well. When I try to install it using all of the supplied hardware, the mid pipe is about 7-8mm shy of being flush with the flange on the header. Also, the mid pipe to header connection is a little loose so I could feel gases coming out at the joint when I fired it up. If I leave out the bolt where the mid pipe mounts behind the right rear peg, everything does seem to line up (save for that particular bolt) but the muffler / pipe move around a bit and the mid pipe rattles on the mount at the rear peg. I called Ken at DG Performance and he asked me to send him some pics of the issues so I did. Will have to wait to see what happens. On the plus side, the muffler and pipe seem really well built and look nice. For the few seconds that I started the bike, it sounds great too! I hope that they can get me fixed up...