Sign in to follow this  

2008 gmc

I bought a new to me 2008 GMC Z71 a couple of months ago. I would like to level it out. Don't like the nose down rear in the air look. What is the best way to level the front? Not looking at bigger tires or more clearance, just want to level it out.

One problem I have had with it, the drivers side rear door will not unlock when the weather turns hot. Can't unlock with key fob or door switch. Will also not unlock after truck put in park like the other three. Only happens when it is hot outside. At night or on a cool day it works just fine. Cannot figure this one out. TIA

I have the same truck. When I bought it new, part of the deal was to put it up on the rack and adjust the bars on the front to level it out. It took about 15 minutes with a socket and tape measure. We brought the front up about 2". We were also able to square the front side-to-side at the same time. (It was 1/2" low on the right front from the factory).

As far as the door lock goes, you simply need to replace the Electronic solenoid (door actuator).....it's getting hot, probably from a short and fails at that point.

They make leveling kits you can buy to add to the front. From what I've read your not supposed to crank the torsion bars to level these trucks.

I got this kit on my '08 GMC Sierra.

I'm happy with it, it takes out the rake and looks way better.

I can post a pic if you like.

They make leveling kits you can buy to add to the front. From what I've read your not supposed to crank the torsion bars to level these trucks.

Not true. GM says it's fine right in their service procedures. You aren't supposed to use them to LIFT the truck. (Too much deflection if you run them up too far).

The 2008 GMC Silverado does not have torsion bar suspension, it has coil over shocks so you must use a spacer kit or Bilstein 5100 series shocks.(I'm assuming this is a half ton model, HD's may be different).

The 2008 GMC Silverado does not have torsion bar suspension, it has coil over shocks so you must use a spacer kit or Bilstein 5100 series shocks.(I'm assuming this is a half ton model, HD's may be different).

The half-ton doesn't have the "stink-bug" look, so I was assuming he was talking about the HD like mine. I didn't like it until we leveled it out somewhat.

I put a 2" leveling kit on my 07. Its just a spacer block you put on top of your coils. Just takes a few hours to put it in. Its real simple to put on. And looks nice with a set 285's under it

Thanks for all the great help guys. I do have the half ton, but the rake seems more than my brother's 2500. Seems like the last two half tons I bought were already level. Its not bad, just prefer the level look. I think I will be putting one of the kits on mentioned here.

By the way, I use my truck for what it is intended for but its also my daily driver. I would like to get a commuter car, but thats for a different post. I would hate to have to have a trailer hooked up or a load in the back at all times just to achieve the look I want. But hey to each his own.:smashpc:

Thanks for all the great help guys. I do have the half ton, but the rake seems more than my brother's 2500. Seems like the last two half tons I bought were already level. Its not bad, just prefer the level look. I think I will be putting one of the kits on mentioned here.

By the way, I use my truck for what it is intended for but its also my daily driver. I would like to get a commuter car, but thats for a different post. I would hate to have to have a trailer hooked up or a load in the back at all times just to achieve the look I want. But hey to each his own.:smashpc:

Wait til you go to use it for what it was designed for-if you think it looks goofy now....