Sign in to follow this  

Current sleeper build

Let me know what you guys think. Bike will be used for road racing and some trail riding

2004 KLX110

stock frame/swing arm/suspension

Pro taper xr50 bars

two sets of wheels- 1 set of excels 12/14 with dirt tires, 1 set of 12/12 w/tt92s

stock head/cylinder

BBR cam

TB 55mm crankshaft

4th gear

Heavy duty output shaft

HD shift star

Takegawa primary gear

TB manual clutch

twobros air filter

stock exhaust drilled

hardware kit

HD valve springs

HD clutch springs

I was originally a little worried about the crank with a stock carb/exhaust but I'm going to try and give it a shot. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done a similar setup or what your opinions are. I was also thinking about an oil cooler for road racing.

I would throw a cradle mount on there. I know it wont be jumped much but it only takes one time sometimes. do you have to run a stock exhaust? I think if you could do some minor port work or have ahpminis or someone port your head that would wake it up a lot expecially with the cam or lighten the flywheel, thats usually pretty cheap to do and makes a nice improvement.

I would throw a cradle mount on there. I know it wont be jumped much but it only takes one time sometimes. do you have to run a stock exhaust? I think if you could do some minor port work or have ahpminis or someone port your head that would wake it up a lot expecially with the cam or lighten the flywheel, thats usually pretty cheap to do and makes a nice improvement.

Stock exhaust has to stay, it's going to be used a bit as a hooligan bike and I don't need any unnecessary attention. I'll drill out the head of the exhaust a little but that's it. I'll get a cradle for it soon, I want to get it running first. I get bored with it I'll probably change the carb, and maybe have some headwork done. I figured it wouldn't matter much with the stock exhaust on there.

You are not going to be that much different from stock. With a stock head and exhaust and stock filter. I would see where stock jetting got you, then jet up from there.

Hi- I have a few KLX110's myself. I used to race them in the pit bike races with just a BBR pipe, cam, Tak primary gear, 4th gear drum and clutch-- and ran 40/85 jetting. This was considerably better than the stock setup.

Now-- I have another 110 that I use in my backyard, so I needed it to stay quiet. AND-- I have another 110 that was showroom stock. This is my nephews' bike that lives in my garage.

I wanted a little more power out of my backyard 110, and I had a spare BBR cam sitting around. So I ran the cam with the stock pipe (head tube drilled) with both 40/85 jetting, and the stock 38/80 jetting. What I found was that the bike with the BBR cam, and stock pipe ran worse, and was slower than my nephews' showroom stock bike. I had Duane Brown on the phone regarding something else, and I ran the stocker scenario past him. He told me that he did the exact same thing before, with the exact same results.

So... my experience is that if you're running the stock exhuast. Leave everything else stock as well, or you'll be spending money to have a worse running bike.

Now-- I still have the bike, and here's where I'm at with it these days. I'm still running the drilled stock exhuast, cam, etc... But I've added the Tak primary gear, and hydro clutch. I grabbed up a 20mm KLX140 carb, and am running it with the stock 110 float bowl and choke plate/cable guide. The 140 carb seems to give it slightly more power across the board. This has been the only mod I've done with the stock pipe that has been an improvement over stock. I'm thinking about getting the 140 carb bored out to 22mm, and I would do some head porting, but I'm planning on installing a 2010+ motor in the bike if I could verify that the 2009 LH engine case will work on the 2010 motor (thus eliminating the E start), and that the 2009 stator will work on the new motor as well. I haven't been able to verify any of this-- so I'm just dealing with the '03 motor I have for now. I was going to purchase a new 110, and run the 2010 engine in my '03, and the '03 motor in the 2010 with the LH case on my '03 motor so that motor can have the Estart setup. I was going to put girly graphics on it for my GF to ride, and I was going to keep my '03. The Estart annoys the hell out of me on the new bike.

Hope this helps you. --L*64