Sign in to follow this  

Towing a Bike?

I was out riding with my girlfriend this weekend. I was riding my CRF450X and she was on my WR250F. She dumped it hard and the bike wouldn't restart.:busted:

All the power seemed dead. When I got it back to my garage, the 10amp fuse by the battery was blown. I replaced it and the bike started.:smashpc:

Here's my question. When we couldn't start the WR, we pushed it back to my truck about 1 mile up and down some hills. Should we have towed it with the other bike? What's the best way to tow a dirt bike back? Or, is it too difficult to tow a bike and did we do the right thing and walk it back?👍

i have a method that's worked many times. i carry a section of 5 mil. accessory cord from my climbing days and a superlight cam-buckle type of tie-down. you use the tie-down from footpeg to footpeg over the seat of the bike doing the towing then tie the 5 mil cord to the tie-down on the seat. this high attachment point keeps the tow-rope out of the wheel of the tow rig. run the rope back to the bike to be towed and wrap it a couple times around the bars between the clamps then over to the left grip. you trap the rope between your left and and grip which allows you to loosen your grip if you start to loose control and the rope unzips from around the bars and prevents going down hard. i usually only do 1 full wrap on the bars but you can do more if you need more friction due to thinner cord or whatnot.

if your close or close enough to the truck ride back and grab a tie down (did this on a day where i broke my wrist and my buddys 450 blew up) was painful as hell bu it worked well. if your stranded like slackkin said, a long stick can work or search around for some rope or vines off a tree or something. or you can do what you did and get a nice work out :smashpc:

I have towed many bikes and it is not an easy task however over the years I have come up with this method.Tie a loop in one end of tow rope and hook it over right side foot peg on the bike doing the towing. Wrap other end of tow rope around cross bar a few times on the handle bars of the bike being towed and just hold the rope end in your strong hand. If you have to let go just release your grip on the tow rope and it will slip away. If your handle bars have no cross bar then you have to just wrap the rope around the triple tree clamps. (works but is harder to control). Takes practice but beats pushing.