Sign in to follow this  

2006 kx250

I am picking up a 2006 KX 250 on Saturday for a steal of a deal. I have been looking at them for a while and am coming off of a 2010 KX 450 that I am selling because I need the money for my wedding. I am getting the KX o cheap she gave me the ok. What do I need to know about this bike?

I think you made a couple wise moves, the second of which is having a bike that will be cheaper to operate long term, and let you ride more.

Step #1 -- get a manual

Step #2 -- mix gas and ride

If you don't know the history of the bike, it might be worth just doing a proactive top-end replacement. The top-end on that bike should be less than $200. Thats for piston, rings, gasket kit, wrist-pin and bearing. If that's not in the budget, at least check the compression. Much better to catch a worn-out top end before it grenades.

I would also suggest adding an hour-meter, so you know when to service it.

Its probably worth servicing the rear suspension linkage. Much better to catch that one early as well. Disassemble the rear suspension, pivot, swingarm, etc -- clean and grease all bearings.

Change tranny fluid. Replace it with what the manual suggests ( 10W40 motor oil with a JASO MA rating ) or Bel-ray Gear Saver 85W90 or Ford ATF. All of the above work, its almost a personal religious topic in this forum, so read some of the past threads.

Remove carb, clean thoroughly and document the jetting and needle clip and needle clip position. While carb is off, remove reed cage and inspect reeds for obvious damage, crack, any light coming through, etc.

Clean/replace air filter.

Repack silencer.

I am sure there are a few other items in the manual, but those are the big ones.

What cxc said and pick up a couple of springs for the exhaust valve linkage arm, they like to break....It's only going to be a matter of time before it does.

I have one and really like it, it's a tall bike though, a lot of people get the lowering link for them, it also helps with handling, personally i'm tall, and don't mind the handling of it, just took some getting use to.

Yeah, it is definitely a respect thing, I don't ask permission, I talk it over. Everyone is happier that way, whether I get a bike or not.

And I will definitely be doing some preemptive maintenance, I am pretty familiar with working on bikes, I have my soon to be brother in laws CR125 tore down to the cases getting a new crank right now, I just don't know too terribly much about a KX 250 other than the basics.

I am going to drain the oil, gas, and put a new filter in it for sure, and when i get it home I plan on stripping it basically to the frame since Wa. weather is gonna crap out on us soon anyway, thanks for the tips guys! I'll definitely be looking for all of the above.

Next up, I think I am going to order a pipe too, I'm stuck between PC or FMF factory fatty, I love the raw unplated pipes! And maybe some V-Force 3's.

honestly unless the pipe is beat run it till you smash it. V force reeds esp vf3 are garbage imo. The stock cage is real good on the kx. If you upgrade the reeds go with a rad valve. They are 100 times better when it comes to quality. These bikes are pretty right out of the box, I'd ride it first before you buy mods you don't really need. I'll bet you'll be surprised with it. I have an 05 btw

honestly unless the pipe is beat run it till you smash it. V force reeds esp vf3 are garbage imo. The stock cage is real good on the kx. If you upgrade the reeds go with a rad valve. They are 100 times better when it comes to quality. These bikes are pretty right out of the box, I'd ride it first before you buy mods you don't really need. I'll bet you'll be surprised with it. I have an 05 btw

If anything it needs some suspension work before it needs motor work.

It has plenty of power, but the suspension is harsh and slows you down.

Well boys, I got the 06 KX 250 today and rode it for the first time today. I don't think that he knew what he had because the final sale was for $1800 with a nice workstand and a new front tire to throw on as a spare even though it had perfect tires on already. I feel like I got a heck of a deal!

The KX rips, definitely the fastest 250 I have ever ridden, and I have had or ridden a YZ, CR, SX, and now a KX. Glad I stayed green!

The suspension is harsh, it has a blown seal which may have been a little of it, but it is initially a little plush then hard through the stroke and I did manage to bottom it a few times, but overall I am very confident in the bike even stock.

A few questions I have are:

What premix ratio do you all run? I ran it at 40:1

Where can I find graphics for this bike? Will I have to go custom?

What are the standard jetting specs, what would you recommend for a PC platinum pipe and R-304?

Thanks!

$1800? If it's in good shape i think you got a really good deal, wouldn't sell mine for that.

It is in awesome shape actually, much better than I was expecting. It looks like it is a pretty low hour bike, only thing wrong so far is the leaky fork seals. I plan on completely going through the bike once winter hits

Well boys, I got the 06 KX 250 today and rode it for the first time today. I don't think that he knew what he had because the final sale was for $1800 with a nice workstand and a new front tire to throw on as a spare even though it had perfect tires on already. I feel like I got a heck of a deal!

The KX rips, definitely the fastest 250 I have ever ridden, and I have had or ridden a YZ, CR, SX, and now a KX. Glad I stayed green!

The suspension is harsh, it has a blown seal which may have been a little of it, but it is initially a little plush then hard through the stroke and I did manage to bottom it a few times, but overall I am very confident in the bike even stock.

A few questions I have are:

What premix ratio do you all run? I ran it at 40:1

Where can I find graphics for this bike? Will I have to go custom?

What are the standard jetting specs, what would you recommend for a PC platinum pipe and R-304?

Thanks!

The 05+ KX250 is the most under-rated 250 out there, which is good for guys like us so we can get them cheap! haha

But seriously, just get your suspension set up for your weight and be done with it. I would run as much oil as possible, I run 24:1. More oil never hurt anything. If you detect detonation I would pull the head and get the squishband set correctly. Throwing in a Wiseco single ring piston wouldn't be a bad idea either.

PC pipe and Silencer is the best combo but like what was said above, suspension work before engine mods.

Have fun! My 05 is still in pieces so I'm jealous of everyone riding their green smokers on here.

What!? I was wondering why you had not posted any ride reports. Get that thing together. :smashpc:

Yeah its killing me. The motor should be back together this week. I have an 03 YZ250 is my garage right now that is begging to be ridden but I can't cheat on my KX.

Alright I am going to increase my mix ratio up to 32:1 like pretty much everyone else on here has been doing. All my buddies riding other branded 250's are running 40:1.

That and better gas should hopefully do the trick.

From what I have read, I dug up some old pipe comparisons it sounds like I would like to go with PC or FMF. Once I get a few extra bucks rounded up I am going to order an R-304 short since it came with a PC platinum, then an FMF Factory Fatty and Titanium 2 and do my own test.

Everyone is saying Reeds is a waste too, unless I go Boyesen?