Love the 11 kx250f!

I have just spent the past few weeks really testing and tuning the 11 kx250f heavily.

I absolutely love it - and it's my new favorite 250f tiddler...

With a little effort the suspension comes around really nicely - I think for average consumers (say 150 plus pounds) the stiffer fork springs are a MUST (as comes on the 12).

The stock fuel and ignition mapping is HORRIFIC...not sure what kawi was thinking there to be honest, have found almost a horse just in tuning the ignition and fuel curve, it's just way too rich stock.

And WOW does this thing wake up with some head work! Holy cow...but Ron has posted a fully done up kx - and it IMHO is a better curve than the honda's...and now I see why after really spending some time with it...

The head is easily capable of mid 190's in flow after some massaging...and while I was a little worried at first due to it's seriously laid bad short side - it appears to be a non issue/maybe even a positive for power production.

The best attribute to the kx over the other brands (put suzuki on par here with kx) is the low end power...it rips hard down low compared to the others..and while the new 12 honda is much improve here - it was no match on the track or dyno compared to the kx down low.

Kawi does seem to hit or miss on reliability with these - but it also seems they take care of the owners, and their pricing is almost unbeatable along with their contingency program. I think I may have a mean green machine in the stable soon! I really enjoyed riding the bike the past few times....

Not to be a jerk - but why would I do that!!!

Just start leaning down on it - you will find the sweet spot...

Here is before and after - the kx software does not allow editing past 10k RPM...but changes made do obviously influence the revs above 10k.

The graph shown also includes ignition changes...

stkvshpmap.jpg

I don't like really thin bikes, the yz two strokes being an example. You cant grip them with your knees.

The kx is pretty good overall, I think the shifter is too short personally, and of course everyone has their own bar height pref etc.

With suspension tuning it handles great, not the front end grip of the honda, but not the stability issues of the honda either.

Between all the 250f's...it feels about the same weight wise. The honda is very easy to scrub for some reason, but it does not feel any lighter to me.

It's strong suit is the motor, no two things about it. Once mapped it rips hard...and with some head work they are what many mod bikes were 4-5 years ago...it has a great engine character too...good part throttle power, good bottom...feels like it revs forever.

I'm not too picky chassis wise, but the motor shines bright on this bike.

Edited by harrperf

good to hear about the 11'...were you able to try a 12' yet?? When i switched bikes with a bud who has an 11', it felt like a raked out chopper to me after getting off my 10'crf250. But I quickly adapted. And I agree about the bottom...blew away my mapped/yosh muffled crf...power built slower tho....

the stock kx, for me, was less strong than the honda on the dyno surprisingly...mapping was just so shitty. With mapping it was basically on par peak with better bottom.

With head work and mapping, it is awesome.

For this particular bike, I used .96 spring, stiffer valving in the fork, and considerably stiffer low speed portion on the shock via a shaft jet, plus stiffer valving. Faster rear rebound as well by a little.

Played a lot with the preload on the forks to get it to settle in how we wanted...and it finally rode great, did not chopper out like it did stock.

I have not even seen a 12 250f yet sadly. Had a 450 come through...and customer loves it over his 09, but no 12 kx250f yet.