Sign in to follow this  

What bike should I buy?

I live in Australia, I've been riding since I was 5, been through a 50CC QR, 90CC Jianshe, Yamaha AG200 and a YZ85 06'. I'm thinking of getting back into riding, probably not racing, but I'll see how I go. I go riding up the river occasionally and go riding through the bush and along a small privit bitumen road so I was thinking of getting a bike with a bit of top end (RMX250/KDX250/CRF250X/WR250)

I need to take everything into consideration, I only have around $2000 to spend and also have a car to run, so I think the new 4 stroke 250's (CRF250R/YZ250F) are off the list being too expensive to rebuild.

Moving on to the 2 strokes, I'm 16, 5ft 5" and about 55kg. The YZ85 was perfect size for me and was easy to throw around, just didn't have enough power for me. I was about 5ft back then and 14 though. I'm looking at a 98' KTM125SX at the moment, it's up for $1000 and needs new front brakes (If anyone could give me a quote on them that would be great). I've been told their very expensive and parts are harder to find so might be a bad option to keep up and running with a car.

I'm thinking newer than 1990 2 stroke rm/yz/sx/kx/ 125 or 250 or RMX250/KDX250

Also thinking of an XR250R as it wouldn't need much maintanence, but I don't go riding very often, maybe every 1-3 months so rebuilds and that wouldn't be too frequent on a 2 stroke. I also think I'd get bored with the 250 that's the only problem.

Would the kdx250 still go alright around a track? be as quick as my 85 or a 125?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Foley

Edited by Foleyy

Another thing, I don't go riding very often, maybe once every 1-3 months. I also have no idea how to do even the basic maintanence so any help on when to rebuild top/bottom end, When/how to clean air filter, how to dump fuel, basically general maintanence (Later one once bike is purchased)

A mate of mine just got an awesome 04yz125 for 1800 dollars and in pretty good nick too. so just be patient and go thru the papaer and ask everyone even if they want 3 g's for it .........................I have a vein way of buying a bike and i have two shops fairly close to me so if its red or blue it will get you thru.......................

Regards Dazza

1800! That's really cheap for an 04 model. Yeah, I'll have to have a look.

Thanks.

Also wondering about the RMX250 and KDX250, I know they have longer gear ratios than the RM and KX, but do they still have enough power to get the front end up?

Kawasaki stopped making the KDX250 in 1994. Are you thinking about the KDX200 or 220? They are much more common bikes and you would be more likely to find one for sale...in my area of the states anyway. The KDX will make a very poor MX (track) bike. The suspension isnt designed for MX riding...its a trail bike. Very few beginner bikes are going to do both trail and track well. The XR is sort of like a 4 stroke version of a KDX, only slower...again..not a good MX bike. The 250Fs (CRF, WR) you mentioned are going to be very high maintenance machines compared to a KDX or XR....I dont think that would be a good match for you. Also, a CRF250X or WR250 is no cheaper to rebuild than a CRF250R or a YZ250F...they (X or WR) simply require fewer rebuilds (less maintenance)...but when the time comes for a rebuild, it would be about the same cost.

In summary, you really need to decide if you want a trail bike or a MX bike...and go from there.

Yeah mate cheers, answered all of my questions.

Looking at a kDX250 in a few days, also a KTM125. Yeah, I've heard of a few people racing the KDX250 though, and it's the perfect bike for me seeing as I want to ride on the road, and with less maintenance than the CRF250X/R It works out well for me. I think I'll go with the KDX250. Do you know of any ways to give the KDX a bit more top end though? I'll probably put an FMF fatty pipe for starters.

Yeah mate cheers, answered all of my questions.

Looking at a kDX250 in a few days, also a KTM125. Yeah, I've heard of a few people racing the KDX250 though, and it's the perfect bike for me seeing as I want to ride on the road, and with less maintenance than the CRF250X/R It works out well for me. I think I'll go with the KDX250. Do you know of any ways to give the KDX a bit more top end though? I'll probably put an FMF fatty pipe for starters.

Well, you can do all types of tricks to get more top end out of the KDX. Alot of times, its a trade off. Usually, if you improve top end its at the expense of low end power...and low end power is what the KDX is all about. You are probably on the right track with the FMF pipe...although proper jetting is the cheapest modification available. Im not a KDX250 expert, but on the 200/220s, some people shave the head a few mils and modify the carb to get more top end. Some go so far as to change the porting. Im not recommending that you do these changes....especially to such an old bike..if you buy it, just ride and enjoy. You can spend more on these mods than the bike is worth.

Exactly what a mate told me ahah cheers mate.

I think I'll go with an FMF exhaust if I can get one cheap, and maybe jetting. I'm only small so I reckon it'd fly without the top end I'm looking for in the KX250. Only reason I'm getting the KDX over the KX is being able to ride the kdx on the road. How do you do jetting? I know shit all about bikes.. Should I take it into a dealership and ask them to when I get the service?

There is no such thing as a KX200. You may be thinking of a KDX200...they are good trail bikes. I know someone that has ridden a KDX200 for a few years on the same top end. I sold my friend a 2002 KDX220 that has turned out to be a very reliable trail bike. You should do some research on this site or elsewhere about different bikes. You can get screwed very easily buying a used (especially older) bike...especially if you dont know what you are doing. If you go to buy a bike, take a friend who knows about bikes...that is solid advise to remember.

Yeah I know, researched it a bit and apparently it's a kx125 frame with kdx200 engine. Lighter with a bigger motor. Bike sold instantly :/.

Yeah well I'm looking at a KDX200 or KDX250 I'm pretty sure. Maybe an RMX250, what do you mean by getting screwed buying an older 2 stroke? Like the engine completely ****ed? How can I tell? A mate told me to check wheel alignment and oil and stuff, and listen to the bike. If the bike runs and sounds good that doesn't necassarily mean it's all good does it?

Cheers.

My comment was about getting screwed on ANY bike if you dont know what you are looking for. The amount of screwing is generally less on a 2 stroke, as they have fewer moving parts than a 4t..but the statement applies to any bike. I would recommend you take a friend that is knowledgeable...it is difficult to explain all that you need to look for when buying used.

Alright, so I'm thinking of either this KDX250 91' $1000 or a CR250R 93' $1500. What would the maintenance be like on the CR250 compared to the KDX250? I'm guessing the CR250 would cost a little bit more to run, and also not having a road legal kit would be a downside, but you'd expect more power out of the cr right? The CR hasn't had a rebuild for 2 years, but apparently has good compression. Parts are getting stiff and clutch cable is getting bad. What do you guys think by the sounds of it?

i think for what you ve described about the riding you want to do get the KDX250 or 200,i own a KDX220 ans love it,i sold my crf250X and bought the KDX and couldnt be a happier man great low end and enough top end to cruize at 55 with out rapping it out{mines street plated as well as off road}plus its a low maint bike,buy a shop manual for it and it will tell you everything you need to know about how to take care of your bike...that goes for what ever you buy...good luck!

Ahh alright cheers mate. ever ridden an mx 250 though? I want to know the power difference between the kdx250 and a cr/yz/rm/kx250. I've never ridden the kdx's, but apparently they still have a little grunt. insane bottom end apparently. the kdx sounds like the for me, but I might miss the top end I had on my old 06' yz85. The KDX is in the middle right? xr250r bottom, kdx middle and cr top? power wise.

im pretty sure the kdx is gonna have more topend than your 85,and yes ive ridden MX 250s and they are a blast,but unless set up right not so much for tight trail riding plus you have to put some $$$ into it to get it set up for street,also they have a close ratio {CR}tranny that isnt all that condusive to street riding

Yeah well obviously, but the way it revs out through powerband at high revs is what I'll miss, the KDX doesn't seem to rev out as much as the MX bikes. I reckon the KDX sounds like the way to go. I've read up on it and a few people have ridden them around a track and said they go alright without tweaks to the sprockets and stuff. An exhaust apparently gives it noticeable performance. I won't be racing, but like I said I want a bike quicker than my old 85 that I won't get bored of.

Ahh alright cheers mate. ever ridden an mx 250 though? I want to know the power difference between the kdx250 and a cr/yz/rm/kx250. I've never ridden the kdx's, but apparently they still have a little grunt. insane bottom end apparently. the kdx sounds like the for me, but I might miss the top end I had on my old 06' yz85. The KDX is in the middle right? xr250r bottom, kdx middle and cr top? power wise.

The power between a KDX 250 and a CR 250 will be night and day. You are mostly correct...the KDX will have more low/mid and less top end power. The CR will have less low end, decent mid, and a ton of top end power. I agree with the post above...it doesnt sound like a CR is what you are looking for. The CR engine would also wear faster because of the higher revving powerband...turning more RPMs = more wear on the engine. The KDX would run forever if maintained properly. Im not convinced you would like the snappy CR power...it comes on hard and sudden.

Yeah, that's what I missed on my YZ85. I sold it, regret it now and want another bike like the yz, but faster. I know the KDX won't have the top end revs of my old 85, but it will surely be a quicker bike? If I weren't on such a low budget and didn't want a road legal bike I would definitely go with the CR, I loved that the YZ NEVER went slow because powerband came on straight away, I think it was even geared up to race. Does the KDX have a distinctive powerband?

If I give the KDX a miss I'll be moving on to a CR/YZ/KX/RM 125 or 250. Since I'm on a low budget it will be between 90 and 99' models. The 250 sounds good as it's cheaper to maintain (rebuilds are less frequent) and it has the power I'm looking for. I may be small, but I got used to the bike after a couple of rides and always seemed stuck on the throttle. I've grown a lot more now so I think the YZ125 will get boring and once used to It'll just be like my old 85, I'll want more power. Also an older 125 will probably be slower as well, so another reason to go for the 250 I think.

Theres only one thing I think I'm worried about with the KDX and that is the weight. Like I said beforehand I rode an AG200 weighing 112kg and that was a struggle at low speeds and couldn't touch the ground unless I lay the bike on it's side and put weight on one leg.

Thanks

Edited by Foleyy