Sign in to follow this  

Wont start after washing it.

I went for a good ride yesterday and it started first kick cold. Ran perfect the rest of the day. I got it home and washed it. Now it wont start. I've let it sit overnight and am going to try tonight and see. I'm thinking I just got water someone and it needed to dry out. If it doesn't run what should i be checking?

I did not start it between unloading and washing so it is possible that the wash is not the problem. But I find it hard to imagine the valves going bad so quickly. The bike is an 05 and still on the original valves but it started so easy the day of. I am going to get some feeler gauges and test the valves though. As well as a compression tester. I did get a little water in the exhaust during the wash but not much. and on all my other bikes it just shoots the water out and it isnt a problem. Here are some pictures of the spark plug. My manual says it cant be cleaned and i will need a new one if it is bad. I am unfamilliar will this type of plug though and was wondering if someone could tell me if this is the problem?

thanks a million,

Nic

DSC_0495.jpg

DSC_0494.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

Your valves can go bad that quick! Mines an 05 also with original valves about a month ago I went riding started great in the morning by the end of they day I meant the meaning of an e-start button. I brought it home washed it up good let it dry pulled the valve cover sure enough my right intake was zeroed out I re-shimmed it get me by rode a little bit back in our woods and it did it again. So now it sits in the front of the garage waiting for me to get the money saved up. Sorry to break the bad news to ya but that's more than likely what happened to yours. Once you get it running does it run like crap???

Haven't got it going yet. I just bought the bike from the guy who said it was original valves and just shimmed. It ran real nice on sunday when i took it out. That sucks. I guess im going to be buying some feeler gauges and testing some valves. If they turn out too be bad, i think im just going to replace them instead of shimming. Whats the general consensus of crfs only's kibble white valve service? is it a quality job? will they last a while? forever? also throughout the day it was always good to start, i didn't notice bad starting until i got it home. I also only put 65 kms on it according to my tachometer. Finally, what about the pics of that spark plug? is it still good?

Haven't got it going yet. I just bought the bike from the guy who said it was original valves and just shimmed.

Bingo!

You may be able to shim again to get some riding in while waiting on top end parts.

The CRF's kibblewhite set up is good, You can buy the parts and send the head off to a reputable installer for the cutting of the seats etc. The RHC/Tuff racing valves are my personal favorite. Check the sticky in the 250R forum for contact info.

As far ad the plug goes it is a laser cut iridium plug, cleaning will ruin it. The black you are seeing is from the valves being closed and would prolly be ok once running, but I would replace.

Rule of thumb is once you start shimming the valves you better start saving up for a top end because you will be needing one soon.

Checked the valve clearances today.

Left intake: 0

right intake: .0015

left exhaust: .004

right exhaust: .007

valve job here i come

Wow you have got to do a complete valve job most people are able to get away with just doing intakes because they are usually the only ones that move. You get lucky and get to do both intake and exhaust. While your down that far put a new piston in it.

Ya. lucky me......

I found a local mechanic though who can put in stainless valves for a great price. He said he'll look at the piston as well and see what he thinks.

The piston is just heading it off for in the future, its going to need to be replaced might as well do it now and get it over with. Or just do the cheap route and just replace rings.