Sign in to follow this  

Pierced fork seal while cleaning

I finally tried cleaning my fork seals by removing the dust covers and sticking a piece of film up there. I didn't actually have any film so I cut some fairly hard, clear plastic from some packaging I found lying around.

I pushed the corner of the plastic square (about as thick as a playing card) up into the seal and had to push fairly hard to get under the seal. But when I pulled it out, although it was clean, there was some oil on it and also some oil running down the fork stanchion.

I'm now worried that I've pierced some part of the fork seal. Does this seem possible or is it normal to see oil there after cleaning? I wiped it then pushed the forks up and down a bit but didn't see any more oil.

Oil will pass by the seal when you do this. The thicker the plastic you use, the more oil. If no oil is escaping when the forks go thru' their stroke now, then all is well.

PS..You are lucky you didn't damage the seal, so I wouldn't try it again.

I think you're good. Its normal for them to leak after you break the seal. Pump the forks, like you did, and wipe any oil off that stays behind. Repeat until there is little/no oil on the fork. If there is any oil running down your fork leg in the morning, then you have a problem