Sign in to follow this  

Looking for more Power

I have a 2001 DRZ 250 which I really like, it just seems to lack a bit of power. I would like to get some more jam out of my bike. Any suggestions on what I can add without boring it out to get more power? Any suggestions on a new carb or should I be changing to a bigger exhaust? I would also like it to be a little louder. Im just getting back into riding and like to ride mountain trails but my bike is pretty quiet and I don't want to spook these bears around here by them not hearing me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link for a larger muffler end cap that still has a spark arrestor screen.

http://www.2rracing.com/image.aspx?storename=2rracing&ItemID=8783779 tip for exhaust

I have one and never put it on. I did remove the headpipe and grind the excess weld from the flange ID. You might remove the snorkel and richen the jetting. I have the California carb and can't tell you how rich to go. I did get improved transition from 3/4 to full throttle by shimming the needle .070. Also, a UNI filter will help.

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try, this is a very nice bike to ride and with a bit more power I will be very happy. Thanks again!!

There are four cheap and easy mods that'll give the DRZ a bit more power. They are changing the jets, opening up the airbox, grinding down the flow restricting weld inside the exhaust pipe and removing the spark arrestor. I did them to my 05 DRZ and it made a noticable difference. I have some notes with pics to show how to do this if you want them. PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

You should be able to order a Yoshimura full exhaust system for your bike from a local dealer. It will be a special order.

Things you should do.

- Get a jet kit

- remove the snorkel from the airbox

- install a uni air filter

- install Yoshi full system.

- 300cc big bore kit (could be fun)

- Get another bike?

Check this thread for a bunch of info on the DR-Z250.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365959&page=400