Sign in to follow this  

Lowering rear for better handling

I am thinking of shortening my rear shock on my 2009 exc 300 by 5mm to get bike to turn better, The 2010 to 2012 exc and Husaberg TE's have a shorter shock for this reason.

What do you think???

I believe the 10 - 12' PDS are 5mm longer not shorter, I ran the short shock on my 11' and liked it better, but thats a completely differant chassie.

The 2011 XC chassis has the longer shock, the 2010 and 2011 exc or XCW have the shorter one compared to the 2008 2009 ones.

Is your bike ''twitchy'' and or pushing in the corners ?

Shorter shock will help with that.

For grins you could push the fork tubes down in the clamps.

More or less the same net effect, increased trail.

Its pushing in the corners and just feels too stinkbug compared to all my previous bikes. I have lowered rear sag and lowered the forks which have helped a little.

Also would like to get bike just that bit lower for my 32" inseam...

if your primary concern is the twitchy handling you might try lowering the front via the fork tubes. what about ovalling out the boltholes for the subframe? if you think the twitchy nature is because of the stinkbug effect i think this would help. i know that it can help lower the bike without modifying the suspension

Edited by schrode
re-thinking

I have tried 110 to 120mm race sag with the correct static and about 5 mm preload on the shock spring. I have billet clamps on 20mm offset, tried 18 but didn't like it in tight single track.

Newer models (2010 and 2011 exc) have the 22mm offset clamps for better turning, so if I lower the rear I am increasing the trail for better turning. That is my reasoning.

what do you weigh have you changed spring rates and what are your fork and shock settings... i have a 300 exc 09 and it turns as good a bike as any no need to shorten any thing

My EXC300 is the sixdays version with 44 fork springs and I have upped the rear spring to 7.2 from stock 6.9. I am 85 kilos ready to race. Yeah this ktm does not turn as well as my 2008 gasgas250 or my 2005 exc250. I have read that many racers lower the rear just a tad to get better turn in.

I have tried 110 to 120mm race sag with the correct static and about 5 mm preload on the shock spring. I have billet clamps on 20mm offset, tried 18 but didn't like it in tight single track.

Newer models (2010 and 2011 exc) have the 22mm offset clamps for better turning, so if I lower the rear I am increasing the trail for better turning. That is my reasoning.

if you increase your sag or lower the rear as you say your increasing straight line stability and obviously harder to turn....if you increase the sag to 120mm lets say you need to lower the front also until you get headshake and then back up 1-2mm to make it stable....

but with out having any expirience on your year/model, some tuners say incresing the sag to those numbers with no revalve the needle comes to action faster on the PDS and you may start getting the stingbug ot harsh ride...

maybe the X-Bushing mod will help more your case as you change the angle of the shock as you please and get a lower seat height for you height...but then again i have not used this mod so i dont know the pros and cons....

my 2 cents

wblake

I see you ride a TE300 which is basically the same chassis with CC forks and 22mm clamps. What sag setting are you running, and how do you feel on your bikes handling?

Also the x-bushing apart from lowering the rear, improves tracking in whoops and braking bumps. The 5mm shorter shock does exactly the same by lowering the rear by 15/20mm

wblake

I see you ride a TE300 which is basically the same chassis with CC forks and 22mm clamps. What sag setting are you running, and how do you feel on your bikes handling?

i run the Gold rule of sag 114mm rider, 38 static. 75mm on the front with 42 static.....the triples are 7mm low and i believe i can get more sensitive turning in the tight stuff if the triple are a bit lower.

with this settings the handling is stable, but quite quick on turning, maby faster when i lower the triples more, i love this bikes handling and stability

i am quite curious on the manufucturer suggestion of 105mm,35mm static so when i optimise this setting of the gold rule i will play with the stock ones to see which i prefer!!

Also the x-bushing apart from lowering the rear, improves tracking in whoops and braking bumps. The 5mm shorter shock does exactly the same by lowering the rear by 15/20mm

interesting i didnt know that....how do you plan changing the lenth do you have a tuner doing that in greece??

I would up your fork springs to.46 and put the 69 back in the shock , sit closer to the tank when cornering and you wll be fine

would not that throw the rears sag numbers way off by butting the 69 on the back with 85KG rider weight??

i run the Gold rule of sag 114mm rider, 38 static. 75mm on the front with 42 static.....the triples are 7mm low and i believe i can get more sensitive turning in the tight stuff if the triple are a bit lower.

with this settings the handling is stable, but quite quick on turning, maby faster when i lower the triples more, i love this bikes handling and stability

i am quite curious on the manufucturer suggestion of 105mm,35mm static so when i optimise this setting of the gold rule i will play with the stock ones to see which i prefer!!

interesting i didnt know that....how do you plan changing the lenth do you have a tuner doing that in greece??

So we ride exactly the same setup concerning sags but I have the 7.2 spring at the back.

Yes we have a very good tuner here in Greece(he is the Husaberg and Gasgas dealer as well as WP suspension!). I will put the 5mm shim and freshen up the oil and nitrogen as I have over 100 hrs on the shock! If I don't like it I can set it back to the original settings!!!

BTW if I lower the rear by 15mm the sag numbers should be set to 35/105!!

I would up your fork springs to.46 and put the 69 back in the shock , sit closer to the tank when cornering and you wll be fine

Or just increase the preload on the fork springs from 2 to 4 turns together with the 6.9 rear??

hes trying to lower the rear ,the spring will give im a plusher ride and if he is not mx jumping the 69 will be fine ,i run a 72 on my 250sx at mx and i am 95kgs

would not that throw the rears sag numbers way off by butting the 69 on the back with 85KG rider weight??

i am 87kg ready to race, i use the 72 also to get those numbers

hes trying to lower the rear ,the spring will give im a plusher ride and if he is not mx jumping the 69 will be fine ,i run a 72 on my 250sx at mx and i am 95kgs

no mean to argue but maybe the reason you get away with 72 spring at 95 kg is that the 250 sx is 7kg less than the exc300 and the valving is for a mx,....i still believe he will compromise the ride in a different way if he change those numbers..