Sign in to follow this  

oil line

Just a question -- trying to chase down my 610 running hot issue, on another vein, I want to check if oil is getting to the cylinder head. My understanding is that the external oil line carries oil from the case to the head, correct? If so, when the engine is running, should some oil not flow out the top of the line if I loosen it? Wondering if there is some sort of hydraulic lock that may ne preventing oil from flowing up the line to the head. Considering firing up the bike and cracking the banjo bolt to see if there is any oil flow.

Of course, I could have it totally wrong -- is the line supposed to carry oil from the head back to the case? The husky manual is less than clear on this topic!

thanks!

You can count on the line with banjos being a pressure source. I've never seen an engine with vertical cylinders where the oil didn't drain back down to the crank case through holes in the head and cylinder.

You can count on the line with banjos being a pressure source. I've never seen an engine with vertical cylinders where the oil didn't drain back down to the crank case through holes in the head and cylinder.

I agree, there is very clearly a drain hole in the center of the head on my 450, plus the way it is connected on my engine, it has to be a pressure supply line, but as the cams are on ball bearings, you don't need much oil flow and pressure, just enough to keep oil on the cam lobes, so there may not be a whole lot of flow, you may have to disconnect the line completely to verify oil flow?