Sign in to follow this  

YZ 125 Carb Issues

Hi,

I have a 2002 YZ 125. It's been sitting for about 2 months, until then it was working wonderfully. Couple days ago, it wouldn't start. I tore down just about everything and inspected. All the main things looked fine,( Power valve, Reeds, etc. ) except for when I took off my fatty gold series pipe. It was full of Gas/Oil? Checked out my carburetor, cleaned put back in. Bike started right up. Then died after about 3 minutes. Haven't checked out the fatty pipe, but i am thinking that its full of gas/oil mix again. If anyone has an idea what might be wrong, would be very helpful. Thank you.

Sounds like the float bowl is over flowing. Stuck float, bad seat on the float valve, or contamination holding the float valve off of it's seat. If your pipe is full of gas then the bottom end is likely full of fluid too.

I have to kick mine like a rented mule when it hasn't been started for days.

I think part of it is due to the fact that the bike dumps gas too easily when I lift it onto the stand and it takes a while to get gas into the back into the bowl when I go to start it again. Unlike a 4 stroke where you can give it a twisty before kicking it over.

All my bikes start 1st or 2nd kick no matter how long they sit, I just turn the gas on and hold the throttle wide open when I kick it and it works everytime. Check the above mentioned first... float height, seat, dirty carb etc. also install a new spark plug. If its gummed up it can make starting extremely hard.

Turning the gas off at the petcock before transporting the bike and storing for extended periods of time will eliminate the chace of gas pouring into the carb bowl when the float bounces around.

All my bikes start 1st or 2nd kick no matter how long they sit, I just turn the gas on and hold the throttle wide open when I kick it and it works everytime. Check the above mentioned first... float height, seat, dirty carb etc. also install a new spark plug. If its gummed up it can make starting extremely hard.

Turning the gas off at the petcock before transporting the bike and storing for extended periods of time will eliminate the chace of gas pouring into the carb bowl when the float bounces around.

If the pipe is filling up with gas then it has to be an issue with the fuel shut-off.

Turning off the fuel petcock does nothing to stop the gas from spilling out the overflo vent when moving the bike. just sayin:ride:

I understand what your saying... it was directed towards the OP incase he was leaving his petcock turned on while the bike was sitting or being transported. I agree with your above post reguarding the lifting and angles the bike sees while loading and unloading, but Ive seen quite a few bikes have fuel issues due to people not turning gas off before storing the bike (with incorrect float, seats etc.) contributing to the problem. Basically shutting the petcock off will limit the amount of fuel the allowed to enter the carb itself.:smashpc:

By no means a permanant fix to the problem but certainly can help.