Sign in to follow this  

Muzzy/FMF Exhaust

Hey guys,

With winter creeping up, I'm putting together my winter projects for the Z and I think it's high time to put some TLC into the engine. No big changes, just carb, cams and exhaust. I have the original E cams from my brothers E model DRZ. They appear to be in good shape. I will probably also slap in an FCR as well. Did some searching, but didn't find any good answers to my questions.

The main purpose of this thread is to sort out some exhaust questions. I will not be considering the MRD, so please don't suggest it. I know it's the best bang for the buck and I wish I could get it, but I do trail riding in national forest here and that exhaust would be a no-no. I don't want to be another reason to shutdown riding local areas. I'm looking to purchase either an FMF or Muzzy full exhaust system for some slight power gains and weight loss, as I've heard good things about both these systems.

Do I need to stick with S/SM specific full exhaust systems? Or will E model systems work as well? I would appreciate input from anybody that has experience with these systems. The actual exhaust port on the engine is the same between all models, right? Just the header pipe diameter is different?

Thanks!

the muzzy and most of the fmf pipes (the ones listed at quiet are such a small gain they are not worth buying) are just as loud to the ear as a mrd so im not sure what you are trying to gain.

if you are riding off road, keep the stock pipe.

Come on, Jobi. I thought you knew better than that.👍

Steal your Bro's "e" exhaust atleast.:smashpc:

If I knew better, I wouldn't be asking :smashpc: Hence my fact checking with you guys.

Obviously, what I thought I knew about the other aftermarket pipes was wrong. So would it be worth at least getting an E header then? Is it even worth doing the FCR and cams without exhaust?

If I knew better, I wouldn't be asking 👍 Hence my fact checking with you guys.

Obviously, what I thought I knew about the other aftermarket pipes was wrong. So would it be worth at least getting an E header then? Is it even worth doing the FCR and cams without exhaust?

Aftermarket muffler + "e" header = still going to be loud.

IMO, save doing the fcr & cams until you decide to do a full aftermarket pipe, or do an "e" system, the least.:smashpc:

If im not mistaken...the fmf power bomb header is the same mapping as a e header...buy an fmf q4 and powerbomb or e header...i have it on my other drz...it sounds like a loud lawn mower

Aftermarket muffler + "e" header = still going to be loud.

IMO, save doing the fcr & cams until you decide to do a full aftermarket pipe, or do an "e" system, the least.:smashpc:

Sorry, I meant e header and pipe together. As in basically turn my SM into an E. I wouldn't put on just a slip-on... that I DO know better 👍

Sorry, I meant e header and pipe together. As in basically turn my SM into an E. I wouldn't put on just a slip-on... that I DO know better 👍

"E" header + FMF/Muzzy, or any aftermarket muffler = still going to be louder than what you'd like.

You best stick to a stock "E" full system if you have access to one. :smashpc:

I've had the Muzzy's full system on for 2 years now, it barks when your in the throttle. If you want quiet, keep it stock.

"E" header + FMF/Muzzy, or any aftermarket muffler = still going to be louder than what you'd like.

You best stick to a stock "E" full system if you have access to one. :smashpc:

Will I have any trouble mounting a full E exhaust to an SM chassis? I'll keep an eye out for an E exhaust... but since a Muzzy or FMF won't do me any better I'll save the clams for something else. Thanks for the help guys. Won't have to ask again! 👍

Will I have any trouble mounting a full E exhaust to an SM chassis? I'll keep an eye out for an E exhaust... but since a Muzzy or FMF won't do me any better I'll save the clams for something else. Thanks for the help guys. Won't have to ask again! :smashpc:

I think there was a post a while back showing the dyno results for the Muzzy and a few other pipes. I'm sure its not like bolting on a MRD, but they are good for a few extra ponies. When I was pipe shopping, I was ready to pull the trigger on a new MRD system, but then I came across a new Muzzy system on ebay. I sent muzzy a $220.00 offer, they accepted, I couldn't pass it up.

It seems like more power and more noise go hand in hand. If your looking for more power, deal with the noise or buy a bigger bike. Otherwise, keep it stock.

It seems like more power and more noise go hand in hand. If your looking for more power, deal with the noise or buy a bigger bike. Otherwise, keep it stock.

Yes..With the DRZ if you want to produce more hp, you will need to make more noise...though, mid range improvement and throttle response is possible via carb upgrade..

Well keep in mind, chaps: I'm not against noise. If I was still using my SM on the street exclusively, I'd buy an MRD in a heartbeat. But now I also dual sport on local trails and rangers here are known to check for loudness.

So I'll keep the exhaust stock... but I'd like to at least get a better header. Will an FMF head pipe work with my stock SM can? Or do I have to get an E header/can?

Well keep in mind, chaps: I'm not against noise. If I was still using my SM on the street exclusively, I'd buy an MRD in a heartbeat. But now I also dual sport on local trails and rangers here are known to check for loudness.

So I'll keep the exhaust stock... but I'd like to at least get a better header. Will an FMF head pipe work with my stock SM can? Or do I have to get an E header/can?

I dont see why not but an e will have same performance for cheaper

I am considering doing the same thing and have been researching it for a few weeks. I want to use the pro circuit header instead its cheaper and imo looks nicer.

the sm silencer wont just bolt up, the stock gasket is the wrong size for the fmf headpipe. the sm muffler is 2mm larger then the fmf headpipe so you will need to make a gasket or expand the stock muffler to fit.

i was going to use exhaust repair(basically tile grout) to seal the two and then wrap that section in header wrap.

I'll just be keeping an eye out for a complete E model exhaust. Thanks for all the input guys, even if it was a dumb, repetitious question. :smashpc: