Sign in to follow this  

Washington Jones Creek Wa question

Hey.

So it had been a while since my last ride up there and boy have they done a lot of logging!

We came in from the track side and staged at the bus turn around sign area.

We rode up to the c loop and headed out till the little trail to the right takes off. We headed out that as far as we could but everything had either been logged out or otherwise closed down.

We headed back and rode c loop up to the gravel pit. From there we rode up to the radio towers as I remember there being some cool stuff up there. Once there, there is a ton of cool rocky trails going all over. Its weird though. Once we got way back in there we started seeing no moto signs? There were none where the trail started but we saw a few once we got a few miles in. There seems to be some well traveled epic stuff out there? We turned around when we saw the signs, but there was lots of other trails with no signs so we just took those. We got so far back in there we thought we might get lost so we headed back the way we came in, but it looked like the trails just kept going.

Here is one of the cool spots we found on our little adventure

i-HcVQ3Dm-L.jpg

So my question is......

Is it ok to ride that stuff???

According to the dnr guys, no! They have told me several times the ab and c loop are the only legal trails up there, and you are right, there is some epic stuff up there

Gobs of stuff all over up there. Never been hassled. I would be more worried about all the dudes up there blasting tress down with big guns. I'm usually on a plated bike and there is a lot of opportunities to explore.

The little trail off the c loop took you to the Grouse Vista trail. Someone ripped all the bridges out and DNR would not let us go back in and re-build. Grouse Vista is the only north south connector trail that links the a b c loop to Grouse Vista. At the Grouse Vista staging area (off the 1200 road) there are both motorized and non motorized trails. The motorized trails are the remnants of abandoned logging roads. Pick up one of those black and white Arnold's maps of Clark Country and you will find the trails.

North of 4 corners Ross trail is wasted, turned back into a logging road. MANY of the user built and maintained trails are being lost to logging etc. This is nothing new,, it has been happening for years. What was once over 100 miles of trails are slowly being taken out.

I know right where your picture was taken, there are some prime singletrack trails there as well you may have found.

The wheels of bureaucratic churn are moving ever so slow. A new re-route with a NEW bridge for Grouse Vista is in the works but it take money, time, and manpower. Time is the only thing anyone has and even that works against us.

The massive loss of trails is why JCTRA did not have a poker run this year. We could have but it would have been terrible. We can't get grants any more because DNR will block us, they want those grants and we are the competition for them.

For these reasons and more I no longer ride or use public land in WA accept for the rare occasion. It is way easier for me to pay and use private property where I am not only welcome but wanted.

JCTRA has it's lowest membership in years. With little numbers DNR has no real reason to care what we think or do. Right now the only source of income JCTRA has is membership dues and events, our only event is the Hangover Scramble at Washougal. PLEASE come out and support the race and become a member.

The south west section of 4 corners is one of the best riding areas and safe to ride. The soil there is perfect and would even be suitable for year round riding. This is also home of the planned ORV campground and staging area if it ever gets built (funded).

Joe......

PS there is a JCTRA meeting on 28 Sep 7pm at Pied Piper Pizza in Vancouver. Hangover Scramble planning will be a hot topic.

Have always loved the grouse vista area, i have been under the belief that it is not a motorized trail except for events like the rock and roll? rosses trail, if i remember correctly was intertwined with hiking trails, even on dualsports ya get harrased up there

Grouse Vista lost a significant section down by the C loop a few years back to a logging operation, that section went back to being a logging road. It does not and never did cross any non-motorized trail. Grouse vista ends on the east side of the Grouse Vista staging area.

The Rock N Roll trail starts at the Grouse Vista staging area and heads up to the repeater station. This trail does have a very short section that crosses a non motorized trail. DNR is well aware of the section but nobody has ever made an issue about it so no reason to change anything. A few years ago we spent a ton of money grading Rock N Roll to restore the proper grade, clean out water bars, and smooth the trail. It was PRIME! I have some videos of me coasting my bike down it while holding a camera.

Water Bar is way over by Ross trail and runs in parallel to the south. This is how a loop was made. The poker run would head northwest on Ross then loopback on Water Bar. A section of the Tarbell was abandoned and DNR decided to use Water Bar. We voiced our objections and brought up the fact that it would cause user conflict but that fell on def ears.

As far as using the user maintained trails well that would be a grey area. Depending on who you talk to. Whoever is in charge today you will get a different answer. There was one guy hired on for a while recently that was a real tool to motorized users, he is gone.

If the issue is pushed we all know what will happen. What is the easy thing to do? CLOSE IT ALL DOWN. You will not find any public maps with any of these trail names on them because the people that work on them do not want them made public until they are sanctioned trails. I can tell you I have spent a lot of years up there riding and working on them without any problems of any kind. A few times I have had some people asking what was up on that section of Water Bar that the Tarbell diverted onto. I did not get all pissy, just explain the true story of how these things came to pass. Also, I always shut off my bike and come to a stop when I find non-motorized users on the trails. Being polite pays off.

As part of the 10 year plan all these trails were inventoried. Some will be lost forever. However, in the end we should have 75 miles of sanctioned motorized trails.

There are those that understand within DNR that confining motorized use to a small 13 mile loop with a massive population close by only amplifies the issues. The 13 miles of sanctioned trails gets hammered from over use. That is why you see all those wonderful cinder blocks.

Joe.........

However, in the end we should have 75 miles of sanctioned motorized trails.

That would be fantastic. I really need to go help more up there. Will try to. Three kids and a biz makes it hard but I use the area so I should give back other than clearing the stuff I like to ride (which i do).