Sign in to follow this  

Total beginner question

I am a complete beginner so forgive the silly question.

I am trying to keep from sitting down so much while riding. I can stand comfortably while not under power. It is hard for me to stand while using the trottle. How can I fix this. Thanks so much for your time...

To help grip when leg strength is not there, use the teeth on the pegs to hold your feet. Wedge your feet against the frame and use the peg teeth to hold your foot in place. Foot thru your ankles into your knee's are now holding you on the bike. As you gain strength, speed and skill, reduce your foot hold for faster action to the shifter/brake lever.

At least your thinking about standing, step in the right direction!

You will definately use your legs: do some slow laps standing up around the track (all the berms, etc). Plan on doing it slow!! Make yourself do some laps standing up the whole time each time you go out. It'll keep getting easier. You won't be standing up in the berms when going fast later, but it will help you get better at standing up longer to the berm.

Also, when practicing riding slow and more likely in the parking lot first, barely hold your grips with just two fingers like you're pinching the grips. It'll help you focus on your legs more and help you with balance. I think it helps with aligning your stance better too. You'll be in-between the attack position and the braking position and not have to move around so much to get to either one when you're riding hard on the track.

Your legs will become your most powerful way to ride the bike. Make them your friend and make them work for you. They get easily forgotten when you're thinking about a track and your hands on the bars hanging on. You can point your toes in some to help you get better grip.

Hang on, get traction, turn, jump with your legs. Make yourself try to wear out the inside knees of your pants....and take an aleve before so you're not so sore and you'll fly through some stepping stones.

OH!: This also helps with less arm pump and no more monkey butt.

Edited by coastalrider

The previous posts said it all, get forward on the bike... use the pegs and frame to help you grip with your legs, and get some seat time! It will get alot easier the more you ride!

One missing ingredient...."Overgrip"! Your grip standing will have to be adjusted so your wrist movments are not inhibited. There are plenty of articles discussing this if you do a search on Thumper Talk. .....search "overgrip".

The saying "have the bike push you not pull you" worked wonders for me. It'll become natural and sitting will feel squirly after a while. Practice practice practice.

One thing I didnt mention the first time and at beleve hasnt been mentioned yet is dont forget to find the correct bar bend for your style as well, and see how much it improves the way the bike feels when standing... Once you find the correct sweep and height things will feel much more natural when standing.

One thing I tell any new rider that I take out is that "Id rather be comfortable standing than comfortable sitting, since thats what I should be doing 90% of the time on the track". Helps me rem. to stand as well!

HOT TIPS!

when you have nothing else to do. put yoiur bike on a stand. sit on it and grip the shrouds as many times as you like. repeat this til you feel your legs workout. this will build muscle memory on the inside thigh.

stand up and do thesame. use the inner side of your knees to grip the underside of the seat. it helps too if your seat is covered with gripper style.

like above but rock yourself and do a hoola while gripping the seat with the side of the knees. lean front/back with repetition.

this will enable you to get comfy with that particular bike.

I am a complete beginner so forgive the silly question.

I am trying to keep from sitting down so much while riding. I can stand comfortably while not under power. It is hard for me to stand while using the trottle. How can I fix this. Thanks so much for your time...

It's hard at first but the more you do it your muscles and coordination will adapt.

One exercise that helped me with leg gripping is to put a volleyball between my knees and jump up onto the first step in a stairway, and then hop back down again. Teaches you to hold together while doing something else.

Once i was done doing that for a bit I would play ping pong against the wall, while holding the volleyball the same way, to get used to some lateral movement as well. Try to alternate hitting right then left side lightly to yourself. Tougher than you would think.

I would reccomend doing these sorts of things behind a locked door. They really make you look like an idiot.

Hope it helps.

next time you practise do the first 2 laps standing up. do this each time you practise. then try sitting down only in smooth corners and only sit down as you start to roll the power on. then stand up as soon as possible. this is what greg moss told me. jake and matt's dad. he coaches pro riders around australia including tie symmonds who still reguarly calls him and asks for advice after watching himself on tape at the supercross and motocross