Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a new (used) bike. Fed up with my WR450.

I have an 07' WR450 that I have owned since new. Ever since I have had this bike I have been trying to get it to perform like I want it to with no luck.

Something let go in the engine the end of last season and it is torn down and I have decided to fix and sell it when I have time and pick up a used bike now...season is coming up.

Budget is about $2500 or less.....but willing to go above that for the right bike.

Best bike I have ever ridden so far....was my dad's 03' Honda CRF450.....That thing had the suspension,handling and power I have been chasing with my WR.

My plans were to look for one of those and I already checked one out.....but are there any other bikes I should be looking at? 4 strokes,2 strokes..open to anything.

Thanks for any help.

Since your on a wr now Im guessing your looking for a bike capable of performing well in the brush?

Just about any 2 or 4 stroke mx'er can work really well in the woods with a little work, just like the crf. Im assuming your looking for an mx'er because of the way the power is delivered since you liked the way the CRF felt. All depends on what you want the bike to do. They will be lighter than your wr, handle great with a little suspension set up, and have as much power as you'll probably ever need. If your not against the 2 stroke, any of the modern 250 smokers can be set up to be lethal in the woods as well and even lighter than the 450. Your Wr will feel like a tank compared to any of those bikes.

Id just search for the best deal you can find on a bike inthe best condition reguardless of make and keep the rest of the money in your budget for mods to make it woods ready. Hand guards, skid plate, and gearing changes are usually enough for the casual off roader.

Since your on a wr now Im guessing your looking for a bike capable of performing well in the brush?

Just about any 2 or 4 stroke mx'er can work really well in the woods with a little work, just like the crf. All depends on what you want the bike to do. They will be lighter than your wr, handle great with a little suspension set up, and have as much power as you'll probably ever need. If your not against the 2 stroke, any of the modern 250 smokers can be set up to be lethal in the woods as well and even lighter than the 450. Your Wr will feel like a tank compared to any of those bikes.

Id just search for the best deal you can find on a bike inthe best condition reguardless of make and keep the rest of the money in your budget for mods to make it woods ready. Hand guards, skid plate, and gearing changes are usually enough for the casual off roader.

Thanks.

I ride mostly desert...from tight single track and hill climbs to flat out with woops the size of volkswagens.

The things I didnt like about the WR:

Suspension-Was way too soft from the start..I had it resprung and then revalved several times...still does not handle the deep woops and overall doesnt handle great.

Handling- Bike has an unpredictable front tire wash out in turns. I have tried different sag settings,different tires...nothing gets rid of it. Also feels slow to turn....which brings me to...

Weight- I thought this wouldnt bother me...but it does....may be the contributing factor to my other problems.

This was my first non-mx bike...and will be my last. I thought the light and wider ratio and electric start would be a good tradeoff...learned that lesson.

So you think they should all be similar? I know all of the bikes have slightly different handling characteristics...I just dont want to regret not going CRF450 a second time.

They are all very good handling machines anymore... Ive rode most of the newer model 450s. With a little fine tuning of the suspension they all can handle really well. The RMZ was probably the best all around handling bike. It seemed planted at all times, and was EXTREMELY flickable in tighter corners. The KX felt a little bulkier and "top heavy" (for lack of better words) which the 12' is supposed to be night and day better, but the older models were in no way unridable... just took a little more getting used to. The 06-09 Yzfs were all pretty good, havnt rode the 10+. Handled good but were a little taxing in the choppy stuff until you got used to it. The Honda was really good as well, esp for a taller rider like myself. Good ergos and good handling, seemed pretty stable in any conditions I threw at it.

Power wise... unless your a pro mx'er they will all be very similar in the fact that they will be night and day better than your WR since you liked the snappy power of the MX bikes.

Just my personal take on the "big 4". Hope this helps and gives a little of the info your looking for.

They are all very good handling machines anymore... Ive rode most of the newer model 450s. With a little fine tuning of the suspension they all can handle really well. The RMZ was probably the best all around handling bike. It seemed planted at all times, and was EXTREMELY flickable in tighter corners. The KX felt a little bulkier and "top heavy" (for lack of better words) which the 12' is supposed to be night and day better, but the older models were in no way unridable... just took a little more getting used to. The 06-09 Yzfs were all pretty good, havnt rode the 10+. Handled good but were a little taxing in the choppy stuff until you got used to it. The Honda was really good as well, esp for a taller rider like myself. Good ergos and good handling, seemed pretty stable in any conditions I threw at it.

Power wise... unless your a pro mx'er they will all be very similar in the fact that they will be night and day better than your WR since you liked the snappy power of the MX bikes.

Just my personal take on the "big 4". Hope this helps and gives a little of the info your looking for.

This is one of the big reasons I liked that bike as well. Felt perfect standing or sitting..my Yamaha always felt a little cramped to me.

I think I am going to stick with what I know I like...plus there are so many out there the right one is bound to come along for the right price. My only concern with that bike...is the valve horror stories...but I think they seem exaggerated. My dad had his for 4+ years and not one problem...I dont think he adjusted them more than once if even that. Thanks for all the info

Nothing wrong with that thinking, the CRF is a very good machine and is well rounded... it does everything really well. It doesnt really do anything badly. I wouldnt sweat the valve issues you hear of, they are likely blown out of proportion. I have quite a few buddies that ride red and have had 0 issues with thiers.

I recommend at least check out an RMZ before you buy the CRF... very reliable, and best handling machine out there IMHO. They make amazing woods weapons.

Not trying to sway you one way over another but want you to pick the best bike for you.

Since you ride desert I would rule out pre 08 RMz’s, pre 06 YZ’s and the 06 KX. They have 4 speed transmissions and are hard gear for both single track and open desert. I have had buddies with Hondas and they did have to replace intake valves prior to the 75 hour mark. They both put stainless steel valves in and never had any other issues. Two other buddies had YZ’s and they were quite reliable with normal maintenance. I had over 120 hours on my 07 KX 450 and only had to adjust the intake valves twice and was still on the original piston. When I bought my KX I was riding mostly desert and chose the KX over the other brands because it made the strongest low end power in 07 and tends to be more stable at speed than the other bikes. All that said... Find the best MX bike you can in your price range and go with it!

CoKTM

Since you ride desert I would rule out pre 08 RMz’s, pre 06 YZ’s and the 06 KX. They have 4 speed transmissions and are hard gear for both single track and open desert. I have had buddies with Hondas and they did have to replace intake valves prior to the 75 hour mark. They both put stainless steel valves in and never had any other issues. Two other buddies had YZ’s and they were quite reliable with normal maintenance. I had over 120 hours on my 07 KX 450 and only had to adjust the intake valves twice and was still on the original piston. When I bought my KX I was riding mostly desert and chose the KX over the other brands because it made the strongest low end power in 07 and tends to be more stable at speed than the other bikes. All that said... Find the best MX bike you can in your price range and go with it!

CoKTM

Thanks. I wasnt aware all of those were 4 speeds.

I know I said I would never have another non-MX specific bike...but... I see you have a KTM 300 XC. I hear so many good things about these and was looking at one of these at the dealer over the weekend. How would that bike do for desert riding? Would I be going backwards again? They look good on paper.....but so did the WR.

Thanks. I wasnt aware all of those were 4 speeds.

I know I said I would never have another non-MX specific bike...but... I see you have a KTM 300 XC. I hear so many good things about these and was looking at one of these at the dealer over the weekend. How would that bike do for desert riding? Would I be going backwards again? They look good on paper.....but so did the WR.

Everybody loves them especially if they do not like MX style power.

I picked up the 300 because the group I ride with is doing a lot more technical single track these days. The KX 450 can do the real technical stuff but it is a lot more work than the 300. The 450 was at home in the desert and would haul butt even when I was tired and riding lazy. Many 2-stroke die-hard’s will disagree with me but I don’t think the 300 is a great desert bike. It has to be ridden harder than a big 4-stroke to be ridden fast. It is lighter and fun to throw around but is less stable when hammering through long whoop sections. So... If you ride mainly fast desert and big hill climbs I would pick a 450 over the 300. If you do a lot of single track and throw in some nasty ledge climbing the 300 is the way to go.

CoKTM

Thanks. The 300 idea is out of my head now.

Now for a new question:

I have decided to go with a CRF450 from 2003-2008. I know in 2005 they changed the frame as well as a few less major changes. According to all MX reviewers it was a better bike. But as a desert guy I am wondering if that is still the case...for example if the new geometry brought about any headshake at high speeds or I read one review stating it felt like the bike had an even lighter flywheel...which is not really a good thing. Also the ergos changed to where the bike feels narrower,which Im not sure if this is a good thing to me...

Has anyone ridden each of the 02-04 and 05-08? If so give me your impressions.

Would this be a better question for the CRF450R section?

Edited by nofb

The CRF I rode was an 07 and it felt really good, although it was in an MX setting. Bike didnt feel too much more narrow than previous years but that may be due to my limited seat time. Cant speak on the head shake area either as it was on a track so there were no straights long enough for head shake to come into play.

As for the power delivery it was really good. buttery smooth! No huge hit or anything typical of a lighter flywheel. Hope that helps.

To answer your last question, yes that is a perfect ? for the 450r section.