Sign in to follow this  

Gas in the oil?

Hello, I was hoping someone w/ more mechanical know-how on a DR650 than me could help me out. I'm kinda guessing here.

I did an oil change this afternoon and there was a shocking amount of gas mixed in w/ the oil when it drained out.

Also I pulled out the drain for the airfilter case and the same gas and oil had pooled in the bottom.

This past winter I installed a different gas tank w/ a different petcock. This petcock is not vacuum sealed and I have a bad habit of forgetting to turn it to the "off" position. This bike has been sitting alot this past season. Could this cause gas to be slowly leaking down into the crankcase?

Any thoughts?

Yes, it could. If the petcock is either defective or not turned to the off position it will drop fuel to the carb bowl. Now, if the float valve is also defective, which they tend to do over time, it will allow the fuel to rise up into the throat of the carb and run down into the intake port, around the piston rings, and into the oil sump. It may also back up into the air filter box and drain into the air box drain tube. You gotta remember to turn off the fuel, and you should check your float valve for proper function, or else simply replace the float valve. I hope you're not a smoker.

Bucho-

as mentioned above... sounds like your petcock and or float. Your running a plastic tank but I've not idea what petcock you run. It's easy to check with a length of hose. run a piece of hose from the petcock to a clean empty container (gas can) and try to seal the top a bit (evaporation). Let it set for a while. It it starts to fill then the valve leaks, replace it. This method may try your patience and petcocks can be had very inexpensively. I bought a Yamaha one for 20$ last year. Floats are fairly easy to check by blowing air through the fuel line and manipulating the float

Rode with you last year. Remember the Railroad Tracks! Call me if you need help with the bike. Now that fall is here my DR will be my main bike until spring/summer. Ken C:ride:

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm hoping to give those railroad tracks a better showing this year.

Could be gas getting by the float valve as has been stated, but it could also be gas getting by the "o" rings which hold (and seal) the float assembly to the carb body. Mine were shot but float was fine.

Procycle has a kit.

Bruce

The bottom of the airbox has a rubber nipple on it. Remove it and connect a drain hose. I don't understand why they sealed the bottom of the box. Gas accumulates there. Even if the carb doesn't over flow, reversion from the carb will blow gas out into the box.

The bottom of the airbox has a rubber nipple on it. Remove it and connect a drain hose. I don't understand why they sealed the bottom of the box. QUOTE]

It's likely just due to "environmental concerns"...