Sign in to follow this  

Air in break lines...

I know this is a rookie question, and this has happened to me before but I decided to bleed my brakes again because last weekends when I did it they didn't feel as tight as theh were before I bleed them. All I really was doin was replacing the break fluid. I bought the bike used and replaced all the fluids. It was low and dirty. I bleed them, fill them w/ a $20 bottle of motul 600 and they just aren't as good. Question, once again there's air in the brakes, no pressure at all. Last time someone gave me the tip of tapping the caliper with at mallet and it worked, but now I cannot get any pressure in my rear brakes and its driving me nuts!!! Does anyone have any tips that would help me with this and to prevent it as well!!?:smashpc:

It takes lots of patience. The tapping the lines is to knock any bubbles loose that are stuck on the inside of the line. This makes bubbles come out the top. Make sure you test it with your foot. Once I thought I had my rear brake bled where I thought it was good by testing it with my hand, then when I rode it what felt good by hand was crap with my boots on.

Buy a syringe and back bleed the brakes.This should get all your air out of the lines.

I finally got it out after a day and a half, but they are tight as hell now!! Thats the 2nd time thats happened, next time I bleed them, I'm getting that bleeding hose. I was told to put a few oz pf fluid in a bottle, have one end of a hose in it, and the other end on the bleeder nipple, so when you pump the brake, theres no way air can travel back in the system. And thats finally how I got the air out, after an hour of doing that today... Thanks guys..

Buy a syringe and back bleed the brakes.This should get all your air out of the lines.

ditto^^^^^

I use a mightvac(sp) for car brakes to fill them, then use a syringe and back bleed them when they are really being stubborn.

One thing that may help is to compress the calipers, pump it back up, compress it again, then back bleeding it seems to work well for me.

I've never had trouble with doing a rear, I guess I'm lucky, but when I do the front, I always seem to get some air stuck in the system. In that case I would take the master cylinder off the bars and hang them as strait up as possible so the air can easily go up to the master cylinder. Tapping with a screwdriver handle helps too. Then slowly compress the brakes to not "push" the air down, and quickly release the lever to let the pressure force the air back into the master cylinder where it can exit the system. Then when I put the master cylinder back on the bars, I do the process again a few times to be sure all the air is out. It's easier to put more pressure with it mounted and then let the lever slip off your finger. I would try that procedure for the rear if I run into it there. Glad you don't need to do this now though, but maybe something to try in the future if the problem arises.

Thanks man. Yea, the fronts I never have a problem, and actually I've never had a problem on my rm 125's or 250. This 450 is the only time I've had trouble. Maybe because I'm just older now and I over think it. Used to when I was younger I'd just look in the manual and just do it. Now I spend money on the best stuff, watch all the videos, ask all the right questions, have all the tools, think I'm older and smarter , take my time, and bam, I suck at bleeding brakes...... Fail..lol