Sign in to follow this  

Talk me into/out of a 09 TE310...

I haven't posted much here, but am an avid reader and hope you guys can provide some feedback. I've ridden bikes for 35 years and have a Husaberg FE400 that I'm growing tired of wrenching on instead of riding on that bike. My idea is to pick up this newer bike which appears to have been gone through quite well and mostly RIDE.

I'm going to have shoulder surgery this winter and so I've sold my sport bike due to its forward lean and am considering picking up an 09 TE310 so I can continue to ride with some buddies in the woods and trails. Once I'm healed, I might even make an occasional (easy) trip to the local MX track.

What things should I be looking for on this bike? Known issues? Easy upgrades? One thing I've seen that comes up is the sometimes spotty FI system. Is there a foolproof way to solve/handle this? This one has a power commander and Leo Vince exhaust installed. Also has a steering damper installed.

Is it worth a try?

You can read my other post on my 09 310, the 310 needed to be worked on right off the showroom floor. However if the one your looking at has more than 300 miles on it and a PC you are 75% there, make sure It has the factory power up kit (air box mod, Cadillac convertor removed, throttle stop removed etc.) installed. Next j the suspension which is toataly personal preference. It is a very good enduro, but not a MX bike.

One more thing, I am over in wisconsin if you want to ride one before you buy it. I also have a buddy selling a te250 if our interested.

A negative factor for the '09 310 is that they are almost as heavy as the 450/510 bikes since the engine was based on the big engine. The new 310 is considerably lighter because the engine is based on the newly designed 250 engine.

A negative factor for the '09 310 is that they are almost as heavy as the 450/510 bikes since the engine was based on the big engine. The new 310 is considerably lighter because the engine is based on the newly designed 250 engine.

True but the older bike is a lot more forgiving and a great trail bike. The x-light bike is good for racing and aggressive trail riding but can be a little much for some with it's quick reving motor. I have owned or ridden both many times. The older model is IMHO a better trail bike and the new one a better race bike.

I have that bike, I'm loving it. I haven't even cleaned up the "jetting" on the FI. Its not as bad as some would have you believe, but its an easyish fix. I'm not a picky rider once I'm used to things so maybe I'm not the best tester, but to give some insight.....

I'm a little north of 6'1" and a little south of 205.

Here was my original review. https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841902&highlight=

Since I've added some other thoughts I've had since then......

Yes, the bike is heavy, but its very light feeling on the trail. I used to think it was heavy to toss around if you crashed/fell. Now I just use a little better leverage.

Shorter guys seem to notice the weight more, which makes sense since you're tipping over further before you can stop a fall. If you're short or ahem...... (insert euphemism for weak here) then I'd really think about the weight compared to some other offerings.

Its a great "just ride" bike. My buddy commented that it was the "easiest bike ever!" Very easy to hop on and ride quickly.

Suspension is pretty bad in the front. A phenomenal combination of soft AND harsh. I should get mine revalved, but it seems like its getting better with more time on it. Rear is fine for me.

Its neither very exciting nor drama filled. Doesn't wheelie if you accidentally give it too much throttle (good), but as a corrolary won't lift the front end as easily as many bikes (bad)

Gets phenomenal traction, and as a result makes a surprisingly good hill climber.

Never have had mine overheat, or even turn the fan on. Probably because of the aforementioned 450/510 crossover. I'm assuming they have the same radiators too.

Easy to work on, not that you have to do too much to it. However, changing the rebound (especially in the rear) was really important for me and my riding. I had a hard time at first, but slowing down the shock and getting it to put a little less weight on the front really helped how the bike felt.

That year TE310 was a great bike even based on the last generation 250/450/510 motor and chassis.

I know quite a few guys who bought leftover TE250s and put Athena 310 kits on them which basicly made the bike into a 310 for a few hundred dollars less than buying a new TE310 which had a problem staying on dealer floors because they were such good bikes.

If the deal is good buy it, it's street legal and you can ride it anywhere.

If you are going to ride a ton of single track Id go after the xlite bike. If not but trails track and whatever comes your way I think the 09 310 would be great bike! I just picked up a 11 250 xlite for single track and enduros and still use my 08 450 for everything else.

I have a 2010 TE 310 and echo the comments above.

I had mine de-tuned by the dealer, O2 sensor out, throttle stop and fuel breather canister removed, etc.. I added a JDJetting PS6 fuel injector computer thinggy (it's great) and some armor.

It's been a great trail bike for the mountains and forest riding we do here. Gearing is odd when it gets real fast or slow (depending upon your sprocket choices) but It's not too bad. The handling was a smile that has lasted 1.5 years comparred to my XR250. It likes to be ridden aggressively and rewards this. I am a much improved (and faster) rider from this bike.

Maintenance is what I call normal, change the oil, clean filters after 3-5 long day rides. Everything is easy to get to.

Good luck

I would agree with ride, there are a lot of good characteristics from this like the bike never over heats because it has the radiators for the big bikes. That also means the bottom end it well built and durable. They are a great easy to use trail bike and maintenance is also the easiest of the modern four strokes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Thanks for all the feedback, gang. I brought her home tonight.

The ad for the bike was a bit sketchy, but when I met the owner today I was very, very pleased. Turns out this bike was the 'fit' bike for Enduro Engineering. They bought it and then used it to make and fit many of their accessories. Then they sold it to the guy I purchased from today. VERY low use and lots of goodies. GPR4 damper, Power Commander, Leo Vance Ti slip-on I knew about. I didn't know about a new magura clutch just because they liked it better than the stock unit. Upgraded grips, EE bark busters, Baja taillight/fender elminator, EE radiator guards, a BRP chain guide, a TrailTech odometer and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

Then he showed me The Box. Inside were the original plastics virtually new, all the stock parts including the lighting control, blinkers and the rear fender, as well as an extra set of PG Grafix vinyl still rolled up in their shipping box. I certainly got my money's worth.

The bike started right up and ran great cold. I helmeted up and spun around the McDonalds parking lot where we met - only to find a Sherrif Deputy in the drive-thru and he quickly pulled me over and told me 'not to do it again' before heading off to have his Big Mac. Can't think of a better way to start off with a new bike. :smashpc:

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like I'm around to stay.

Edited by quadzillabill
spelling

The ad for the bike was a bit sketchy, but when I met the owner today I was very, very pleased. Turns out this bike was the 'fit' bike for Enduro Engineering. They bought it and then used it to make and fit many of their accessories. Then they sold it to the guy I purchased from today. VERY low use and lots of goodies. GPR4 damper, Power Commander, Leo Vance Ti slip-on I knew about. I didn't know about a new magura clutch just because they liked it better than the stock unit. Upgraded grips, EE bark busters, Baja taillight/fender elminator, EE radiator guards, a BRP chain guide, a TrailTech odometer and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

Then he showed me The Box. Inside were the original plastics virtually new, all the stock parts including the lighting control, blinkers and the rear fender, as well as an extra set of PG Grafix vinyl still rolled up in their shipping box. I certainly got my money's worth.

The bike started right up and ran great cold. I helmeted up and spun around the McDonalds parking lot where we met - only to find a Sherrif Deputy in the drive-thru and he quickly pulled me over and told me 'not to do it again' before heading off to have his Big Mac. Can't think of a better way to start off with a new bike. 👍

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like I'm around to stay.

Awesome, you have to love it when a plan comes together. Enjoy. :smashpc:

The ad for the bike was a bit sketchy, but when I met the owner today I was very, very pleased. Turns out this bike was the 'fit' bike for Enduro Engineering.

Alan Randt is good people and it sounds like it's a great deal. EE products are the best going and that's why most of the national endure guys use it.

If it's the bike I think it is it was well taken care of.

Enjoy the RIDE!

BlipBlip/HuskyRips:thumbsup: