Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket damage. Why?

Took my 14T off today to swap for my 15T and noticed it was quite worn on the inside. I never noticed anything riding and it has never happened before. I change sprockets quite often. Why would this happen?

P1020406.jpg

Lack of lube .,chain misalignment caused by, rear wheel alignment. Sprocket design, or installation.

From your picture, the sprocket was installed correctly (built in standoff "spacer" installed towards case)

Kind of leaves lube or alignment.

thanks for the replies. I'm positive everything is aligned properly, there are no spacers missing or anything and the sprocket is the right way around (flat side out).

I'm guessing lubrication but I try and lube it all the time. I'm doing it before every longer ride (every 350kms or so). It's really sandy and dry here at the moment though so maybe I just need to be doing it more often.

I'll try with some different chain lube (the can is nearly out) and see how it goes from there.

At least I know what I'm looking for, so thanks again.

thanks for the replies. I'm positive everything is aligned properly, there are no spacers missing or anything and the sprocket is the right way around (flat side out).

I'm guessing lubrication but I try and lube it all the time. I'm doing it before every longer ride (every 350kms or so). It's really sandy and dry here at the moment though so maybe I just need to be doing it more often.

I'll try with some different chain lube (the can is nearly out) and see how it goes from there.

At least I know what I'm looking for, so thanks again.

Alignment is a referencing BOTH sprockets lateral location as well as alignment of the rear sprocket.

Does the rear sprocket have wear on the inside of the teeth?

What brand front sprocket?

Remove the chain, align your rear wheel using whatever markings or system you use. Pick up a 1/8 ~1/4” steel rod, about 24-30” long. Lay it flat against the outside edge of the rear sprocket… Sight along the rod.. does it point directly to the left edge of the countershaft sprocket?

Motion Pro makes a neat tool for about $18.oo or so Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool that works pretty well… or make one, or trust you eyes and calibrated eye balls.

As others have said check the chain alignment & look for wear on the rear sproket too.

I had a recent issue with my rear having wera on the side of the teeth, checked everything & all looked ok.

Asked the bretheren on here for help & some kind soul suggested the chain guide had taken a bashing, causing the chain to be pushed over. Checked & they were right!

Quick re-alignment with an 18" long adjustable spanner & all was well.

I'd guess lubrication for you, based on how my bike acts. I have 5000 miles on my chain and sprocket set now, and it has always favored one side no matter how carefully I adjust things. I always maintain and lubricate almost too often out of mild boredom, and the lube sludge always forms on the same side of the teeth, never the other. I would imagine if the lube wasn't there I would have your situation. However, because of my maintenance schedule it isn't a possibility.

I have seriously narrowed it down to tolerances in how the swingarm is made and the stack-up of misalignment possible between the swingarm and the engine/frame. I have aligned its face off and it still picks the same side.

If your using the alignment marks on he chain adjusters don't be surprised if they're off, when I checked my alignment the marks were one notch off, bike had a 100 miles on it when I checked it.

• Like 1

Mine generally look like that and I have checked my alignment the best I can with a metal rule on the rear and some string stretched between the front & rear sprocket centre lines.

Here is my last front.

8cd11baa.jpg

note the wear pattern, it's similar

c91ddc8e.jpg

here's one that came from someone else's DRZ. It had done maybe 100 road miles.

1452ebf9.jpg

I think you can see the same wear pattern is starting to form.

158342cf.jpg

All of my sprockets wear the same way so I'd say that it's either normal for dirt use or we've both got the same issue.:smashpc:

Yeah I've never used the alignment marks. If you use a good straight edge you'll start to question why suzuki put the marks there. They nearly bear no meaning.