Sign in to follow this  

Question for those with Eddie's manual fan switch

First of all, I love this mod. I use it nearly every day because of traffic on my commute to work and that is where my question comes from. Since the fan was originally designed only to come on when the engine got hot, is it bad to use it all the time? Sometimes I will leave it on for long periods of time or forget to turn it off when traffic starts flowing again. I will realize it when I get home and turn the bike off while the key stays on. On the other hand, would constant switching on and off in stop and go traffic be worse? I am just trying to stay on the safe side and don't want to burn the fan up from overuse. Thanks for the input.

~Matt

i made my switch and use it all the time too, some days my entire 12 mile ride to work. been doing so since may or so with no issues. if you price one of these fans they are pretty pricey for how small they are, they really are a high quality motor. i wouldnt worry about it too much.

As with everything electrical/mechanical , it will eventually suffer from wear...

Though over running the fan is no problem for your cooling system , the thermostat will take care of things..

Not a problem. The fan windmills all the time anyway even when not ON just from the air going thru it when riding at highway speed.

I had a car that I did this mod to plus I added a indicator light to show when the fan was on (manual or thermal switch). Problem was the light was on all the time because the DC motor produced enough power from windmill to activate the indicator light. Had to add a resister to kill the light when the fan was not ON.

Good info guys, thanks. That is pretty much what I was thinking, just sometimes I think about things too much and start to question myself. I will keep on keeping on and if the fan craps out one day, I'll just get a new one. At least I know the switch won't be the fail point.

I had my GSXR 1000 fan wired to a switch and ran it anytime I went into town. It ran it like that for almost 10 years. No issues at all. My motor ran about 195 degrees where my buddies were running 225.