using oil /burning

i believed i was burning oil, it was making me think that the top end was going. 20w50 synthetic for the last year. did the 3 minute on, three minute off and check deal. it always came up short, and off to get more oil i would go. no smoke, runs great...where is the oil going?

the last filter and oil change i dumped two quarts in and measured after the 3 minute drill.......it did not register on the dipstick. i looked at my used oil container and sure enough, more than usual. i think that the heavier weight of the oil makes it a little harder to get a good read on the dipstick. i find that i get a better read after the bike runs around the block a couple of times and then cools.

How many miles have you ridden for the addition of 1 litre? If it was burning that much oil over not too many miles I would think you would see smoke. Do you have a buddy to go on a ride with that could look for smoke on acceleration or deceleration?

Also your plug would be fouled

Well i thourght id chip in with this one ! ive had my S model from new back in 2002 i did run it in per makers instructions ect ect go to 16000 miles and it was using oil ok no problem , i went to a M/T 436 kit again 6-8000 miles down the line it was using oil again so i poped the piston out and it was worn around the skirt ok smaller skirts on the JE Piston so in went a new one so again im now upto 40000 miles !!! and ive just put another Je piston in again worn skirt.

The cylinder in still in spec , the barrel is flex honed using a ball hone then washed in hot soapy water and dryed with paper towel , the piston this time was coated around the skirt a friend works in the F1 world so he go this done for me. Build it up wth no oil on the ring pack or barrel just a bit on the skirt.

Start it up get it warm and spank it through the gears and down the gears for 30 mins , break in is done. Ive now switched back to 10/40 semi oil from 10/50 fully as this was i think one of the reason for my oil useage.

ive now got around 1500 miles on the new piston with no oil useage , to check oil from cold start and let idle for 3 mins turn off and wait 3 mins and check with the bike upright.

I change my oil every 500 miles or so so every 5 weeks or sooner. Hope this was of use to you.

i do let it warm up for a bit then go through the gears,,then let it cool down before i check it..the bike is definitely not leakink oil..i have just changed my oil to SILKOLENE COMP 4 4T 10W40. so ill see how that goes..

i dosent bother me doing a top end rebulid i have done alot of 2 strokes..just waiting 2 weeks for the piston from United States to uk is a bit annoying but alot cheaper