Sign in to follow this  

Need some work done - how much to expect to pay

Looking to get some work done on my bike. I'm somewhat new to riding and have no room in my apartment to work on my bike so I'll be taking it to a shop.

I will need: valve adjustment

How much should I expect to pay? Looks like they charge $80-100 an hour around here.

Edited by JN89

I just took my ktm 690 SMR into Precision Motorcycle Service and Repair in Goleta, CA.

• brakes
  • brake fluid
  • clutch fluid ( i have a hydro )
  • thorough flush of the coolant
  • valve check / adjustment
  • chain maintenance ( tighten, clean, lube, inspect)
  • Re-Grease all Wheel Barings
  • Re-Grease Swingarm barings
  • Re-Grease Headtube
  • REASSEMBLE THE HEADLIGHT - i asked him to "just use whatever fits, doesnt need to be oem - just resecure it and get it straightened out" - i went on a dual sport ride, crashed a few times and basically half ripped the highlight assembly off lol

came out under 300 $

if you're around the 805. Tell em "the goon on the ktm 690smr sent me" :smashpc:

i got my valves adjusted, carb cleaned, and rear tube changed for like 280. changing the sprocket, chain, oil, and airfilter isnt that hard and its always nice to know how to do so if you could do that on your own youd probably end up saving some money. as far as price, i have no clue. ive seen people shim valves on youtube in like 15 minutes so if its a decent mechanic it shouldnt cost that much.

find some room to work on your bike. dont pay anyone to do that work for you.

seriously.

just like what knucklehead said do all this on your own. search the forum, look at your manual,look on dirtrider.com or dirtbikemagazine.com for "how to's". you can save all that money for parts you need and what not. go to a friends house so you can work on it.

I agree. Do it yourself. It is not as hard as you think, plus you will feel great knowing that you did it yourself. I dont trust anyone to work on my bikes but me.

+1 for doing it yourself. im 17 and i never thought i could do all the work on my bike but alot of people are willing to help you on forums like these and with the help of online tutorials and manuals you can do anything to your bike.

Is $375 too expensive for:

- look over used bike for any issues (oil leak)

- valve adjustment

- rear sprocket

- countershaft sprocket

- chain

- replacement rollers

- oil change

- air filter

Shop around and get quotes from other shops and see if anybody can beat that price. Get recommendations for privately owned shops in your area. Ask what kind of sprockets and chain they will be using because price changes with quality in most cases

You realize the $375 plus parts. Unless you are well off you have to learn to do some of this yourself.

If the valve adjustment is gonna be over your head, at least do everything else your self. Thats easy stuff and an easy way to lessen the bill.

If you don't have the tools, then why not spend the initial $300 or so for a good set of the necessary stuff? That's $300 that will go for life if you buy from the right place (I always buy from Sears- Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty and they will exchange a broken tool, no questions asked).

If you have room to store your bike, you have room to work on it :smashpc:

Is $375 too expensive for:

- look over used bike for any issues (oil leak)

- valve adjustment

- rear sprocket

- countershaft sprocket

- chain

- replacement rollers

- oil change

- air filter

That is absolute robbery.

Also, did you actually check your valve clearances to see that they are off or are you just guessing/going off someone else's word? Check them yourself first, if you don't want to put the shims in there then take it to the shop and have them do it, but don't pay for work that doesn't need to be done.

I know you are in an apt but for your sake find some room and do it yourself. From what you listed its all basic work and trusting someone to do anything correctly is hard. Save the money and do it yourself.

Its gonne be expensive at a shop, bottom line. You're not going to find a place thats 20 bucks an hour, period. Its crazy expensive to run a shop. People will come out and say charging 375 for a valve adjust and other misc jobs is highway robbery but you realize they have to pay more than just the mechanics wage right? The mechanic himself is only gonna make like 40 bucks on the job. I work in a auto dealer and the manufacturer I work for charges us almost 10K a month just to license thier diagnostic testers from them. The lease on our property is 60K a month. Things like that add up when you run a shop and most people dont realize the expense that goes a long with these things.

People's time is also worth something. I gladly pay guys to do my yardwork because I would rather stick a rusty fork into my leg than spend my weekends doing yardwork. I pay a tax guy to do my taxes because I don't want to bother with it. Maybe this guy would rather spend his free time relaxing than stressing out over measuring shims?

Looking to get some work done on my bike. I'm somewhat new to riding and have no room in my apartment to work on my bike so I'll be taking it to a shop.

I will need: valve adjustment, new sprockets, chain, air filter, oil change.

How much should I expect to pay? Looks like they charge $80-100 an hour around here.

All of that stuff, except for the valve check/adjust, should be able to be done by ANYONE that rides a dirt bike.

If you can afford to throw away that much money on labor AND parts, you can move to a new place with an attached garage to work on your bike.

All of that stuff should be able to be done by ANYONE that rides a dirt bike.

FIFY :smashpc:

With the wide information available on the internet, there is no reason you can't do anything on your dirt bike.

All of that stuff, except for the valve check/adjust, should be able to be done by ANYONE that rides a dirt bike.

If you can afford to throw away that much money on labor AND parts, you can move to a new place with an attached garage to work on your bike.

Even the valve check/adjustment might be very simple. He doesn't say what type of bike he's got, so it's anybody's guess. If it's a Husky, it could be very easy.