Sign in to follow this  

I wanna smoker! Without the smoke.

Im moving up to a bigger bike this winter from my RM-Z 250 and my heart is set on a KTM 2-stroke. My dad HATES 2t's and baisicly just said "no, they stink and sound like crap" (he's rode honda 4 strokes his whole life) Im 15, so my parents still have control over what i do. How do i make him see the light? I know theres sented smokeless oil out there but does it actually work? If so then is it alot more expensive? Sound wise theres not much i can do. I'll probably put on a less noisy silencer (even though i love the sound of them).

Thanks in advance

At 15, why do you need more then the RMZ 250. Are you already hitting the revlimiter like Barcia.

At 15, why do you need more then the RMZ 250. Are you already hitting the revlimiter like Barcia.

Haha no im not as rev happy as barcia. But i dont have enough top speed. My friends 150f has a higher top speed than it! And i dont want to sacrifice the lower power that i have so i figured uping displacement would be the best way. I ride mostly trails and fire roads. I do quite a bit of track stuff to though. Its pretty 50/50. I rode my buddys 250 SX and a 300 XC and i think an XC is perfect. Even a 250 not a 300 would be good.

well what you should do is buy it without your dad knowing. and then run a pipe from your pipe to his room..... and then rev that bitch up and smoke out his room

Faster, lighter, cheaper/less maintenance, easier to start, and easier to work on. Just tell him that. He is probably is basing his opinion to some old 250 2 stroke that was jetted extremely rich and was running a straight pipe. Now we have 2 strokes with better pipes, power valves, and the oil is better. My dad used to be like that. He rode an RM250 and he said that is it for 2 strokes. Then I got him to ride a kdx220 and now he has upgraded to an EXC200 and couldn't be happier.

I am 16 years old, 6ft tall, and at 200 pounds. I ride an EXC300 but you will be fine with a 200 or 250. I ended up with a 300 because i got a great deal on it. If you do get an EXC, make sure you visit the KTM section to get the jetting sorted out (it is important to replace the stock slide and needle).

ktm300pics001.jpg

Haha no im not as rev happy as barcia. But i dont have enough top speed. My friends 150f has a higher top speed than it! And i dont want to sacrifice the lower power that i have so i figured uping displacement would be the best way. I ride mostly trails and fire roads. I do quite a bit of track stuff to though. Its pretty 50/50. I rode my buddys 250 SX and a 300 XC and i think an XC is perfect. Even a 250 not a 300 would be good.

isnt a 250 2 stroke going to have a lot less bottom end than a rmz250?

:smashpc: No comparison, the 250 2 stroke has way more torque.

He was referring to an EXC250 trail bike, not a 250 mx bike.

who cares if a 150 is faster by a few mph down a flat road? when you talk mx bikes you talk POWER.

yeah like said earlier. cheaper, easier to maintain engine wise, better power to weight ratio.etc..... why not dump some money into your rmz.

why not dump some money into your rmz.

bc 4t's are money hungry anyways, put money into it, and then after a few rides check valves rebuild it yea you know the 4t story

who cares if a 150 is faster by a few mph down a flat road? when you talk mx bikes you talk POWER.

yeah like said earlier. cheaper, easier to maintain engine wise, better power to weight ratio.etc..... why not dump some money into your rmz.

Top speed is important for fire roads. That is what limits the mx bikes off road. Once you start putting on different sprockets onto mx bikes for more low end the top speed really drops.

A 150f is a slow pig. There is no way that it has more top end then your 250. If you want to go from a thumper to a smoker that is one thing. I gaurentee that RMZ 250 has more to offer then you can handle. I rode my buddies 300xc and its a great bike but it;s more then I would want in tight technical trails. I ride mostly mx and I do it on a RMZ 450. I had a RMZ 250 prior and thought I needed more, but the 450 is way to much.

everyone around here that races single track enduro stuff are aboard ktm 300's...........

the pits are just covered in a sea of orange so i don't think there hard to ride in tough techno sections by any means.

Im moving up to a bigger bike this winter from my RM-Z 250 and my heart is set on a KTM 2-stroke. My dad HATES 2t's and baisicly just said "no, they stink and sound like crap" (he's rode honda 4 strokes his whole life) Im 15, so my parents still have control over what i do. How do i make him see the light? I know theres sented smokeless oil out there but does it actually work? If so then is it alot more expensive? Sound wise theres not much i can do. I'll probably put on a less noisy silencer (even though i love the sound of them).

Thanks in advance

Who's paying for the bike? If it's your dad, quit bitching and be grateful for getting a free bike.

If you're paying for the bike, you should be able to buy whatever you want.

Trust me that RMZ has more power than you know. I cant see a 150 air cooled bike being faster than a 250 water cooled bike. That being said, if I was your father you would be on a 2 stroke. Better power and cheaper maintenance. Plus they hold a pretty good value. A lot of times you can but a good used 2 stroke and sell it a year later for close to what you bought it for.

What gearing are you running on the RMZ? I'm surprised no one else asked? (Maybe someone did?)

I had a 150F and a 250X. My 250X had exactly the same top end speed as a friends 05 RMZ 250. The X would SMOKE my 150.

:smashpc:

Funniest thing I've read all week.

A typical 250T will make in the neighborhood of 22-23 ft/lbs of torque as low as 4000 rpm, and will peak in the low to mid 30s. A typical 250F won't even make 10 ft/lbs at 4000 rpm, and will peak at around 20 ft/lbs.

^That. That is why a lot of stock 250 pingers work well on the trails.

If he is paying for the bike, then just be happy you're getting a bike at all. If you are paying for the bike with your hard earned money, then it doesn't matter what he says. You worked your own ass off for it, you should be able to buy it if you want.