Sign in to follow this  

2007 rm250 issues

first time posting to the lemons... but hey I got this bike, owned since new, and apparently my dad has been having issues with shifting lately. Apparently its every type of issue, from missing, to notchy, you name it. Was there a problem with this particular year/model regarding this? it always shifted well, until now, so is there a secret? trick? or just a dead lemon?

You have me a bit confused. You stated it shifted fine till now? Well, that means something is going bad. As far as a hidden issue that RM 250's share, their only weak point is the clutch,only if abused. So, maybe you have a clutch issue,not a tranny issue. Maybe you are using the wrong oil which could be causing some problems. Check and make sure you shifter is tight. Bent shift fork,worn shiftdrum, bent shift shaft,ect... Unfortunately, this kind of problem needs to be attacked in an inspection way rather than a help me way. Start by making sure your oil meets the recomended specs as per Suzuki. Then, make sure your shifter is tight. Then pull your clutch cover and inspect ALL of your clutch components.Then,pull the primary cover off and inspect the shift drum nut for tightness and the shift shaft by pulling it out. Then, if your problem still isnt found, your gonna have to split the cases and inspect shift forks and the drum for wear. Good luck, hope it is something simple.

and thats the thing, we used redline oil for the longest time, good oil, too good actually... and it was always kinda notchy, but that didnt mean it shifted bad, and now we just use i think belray tranny oil, as far as oil goes, i know some bikes are like AP rating this or higher, but I have 9 bikes i think? and as far as that goes we always do well in the shifting department. but i was wondering if it is one of those bikes that requires the old clutchless shifting and that was a slightly withheld secret, like our KDX motors, kawis in general, like clutchless shifting. I didnt know if this was the case or what. If it is feel free to tell me, before I destroy the innards.

+1

If it shifted fine until recently, then something is wearing out. Keep in mind that this bike is now 5 summers (years) old, so to expect it to last forever is just unrealistic. To say anything different about any other model is just false.

As for the shifting, what oil are you using in the gearbox? And is that the same oil that's always been used? Also, where and how do you ride it? Are you an A class MX guy?, a Hare Scramble racer or weekend trail ripper? And do you use the clutch a lot or only when you have to? And when was the last time you at least pulled the clutch cover and visually looked at the clutch condition? Finally, have you noticed any metal bits in the oil the last time you changed the gearbox oil?, and what color was it when you did change it last?

FWIW I do own a '08 RM250 which is the same as your '07 and it's always shifted perfectly, so in my case I can honestly say that "no" there is nothing wrong with this model.

I go clutchless and use the clutch about evenly. There is no secret to shifting it, it's just like most others. I would try using a regular motorcycle trans oil that meets the recomendations of Suzuki first. I use some Valvoline stuff I buy from Autozone for like 3-4 bucks a quart with no issues whatsoever.

Maybe if your dad is old like mine(70), He isnt pulling or pushing all the way. My dad had to make a custom brake pedal pad that is hideous, but works for him even though I felt it wasnt nec.LOL

and thats the thing, we used redline oil for the longest time, good oil, too good actually... and it was always kinda notchy, but that didnt mean it shifted bad, and now we just use i think belray tranny oil, as far as oil goes, i know some bikes are like AP rating this or higher, but I have 9 bikes i think? and as far as that goes we always do well in the shifting department. but i was wondering if it is one of those bikes that requires the old clutchless shifting and that was a slightly withheld secret, like our KDX motors, kawis in general, like clutchless shifting. I didnt know if this was the case or what. If it is feel free to tell me, before I destroy the innards.

I've always used Bel-Ray 80w in my bike, and again ~ no problems shifting. It's a two stroke, so there's no real reason to use the clutch when up shifting, just blip the throttle. If you need a "burst" of power then using the clutch will get you there.

I think it's more of a deal where you are use to one bike and the way it shifts and then your jumping on to another. It really could be something as simple as the shifter being set differently between bikes.

Okay I will start with zig,

he has been riding the KTM a lot lately, brand new, why not and plus it has electric start, perfect for the old man of 56. I mean I sometimes powershift, but i usually go clutchless, but the old man i think uses the clutch all the time. personally every time i rode the bike i never cared for the shifting, wayy too notchy. Its also 5 summers sitting, we have 9 bikes and that one sits out most of the time. IDKY it does, it has gold valves front and rear and is race tuned. I always check for metal bits, and the last time I cant remember exactly cause 9 oil changes is a lot to remember, but i think there were a few metal bits, think... so I guess we have to drain it again and check now just because of this and if more bits come out again then yes I guess we need to take it all apart. But then again it will be put on the back burner because it never gets ridden and we have several other bikes we attend to. the 89 yz was just resplit AGAIN because of a faulty kickstart spring tab that broke off, and as far as I know the motor isnt back in it yet, so no we really dont have time coming out of our ass to just tear it apart right now. Not trying to sound totally badass with our 9 bikes, cause im not, but it is a mechanical nightmare and finding time to fix it jsut isnt sitting there, thats why I am wondering if it is really a problem. Its not that I am defficient and dont want to do it, its just that I cant. The old is 50+ expert and a one-time open class expert. hes alright...i guess lol. it can be that he is not comfortable shifting the bike,cause it is different from a few others he rides. Considering we just bought 2007 KX250 that we are going to hop-up I can see this bike not going anywhere soon. Ill tell him not to ride it until we check the oil again, and check a couple other basic quick-fixes. Is that it? god i hope so cause I am

The "lemon" may have been damaged when he went down in the rocky wash a couple of weekends ago. From what I could tell he went down hard! The shifter didn't look bent but it could have been slam shifted hard with the gas on when he went down. Glad he's okay!

yeah the old man is having some other health issues... idk, im not wanting to tear another bike apart ever. so tired of it, if we hadlike 5 bikes, no problem, but man its exhausting. sold the old WR though!