Sign in to follow this  

Normal play in Rod Bearing? (Video)

Here is a short clip of the play in my lower rod bearing. Is this normal or is it too loose? There is no up and down movement of the rod, but there is some side to side "wiggle".

I know that side to side movement can be ok in the bottom end bearing and that up and down movement means time for a rebuild.

In the clip, I wiggle the rod side-to-side. Then put the crank at BDC and attempt to move the rod up and down. Then bring the crank back to TDC and attempt to move it up and down. Like I said, I don't feel any up and down at all. Just side to side. Is this about normal?

What do you think?

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb90/olds455man/bike/?action=view&current=MOV00911.mp4

Looks normal to me... if theres no up and down play Id say its good to go!

The only thing I was worried about is the rod "wiggling" a little. It only moves side-to-side, not up and down. I guess that's normal.

The only thing I was worried about is the rod "wiggling" a little. It only moves side-to-side, not up and down. I guess that's normal.

side to side is fine and a brand new crank will do that. up and down is no bueno. looks like your good to go.

I was told to check the bearing by trying to twist the crank. If it doesn't twist back and forth your good to go!

Lift up on it,ever so slightly..tap on the top of the rod with something soft. If there is wear you will feel a click or tap.