Sign in to follow this  

what oil do you use in the tranny???

just put in some Honda racing gear lub 80/90 weight and went riding. I think that the bike is more sluggish with this gear oil. I imagine that the gear oil protects more but that the higher viscosity robs much needed HP.

Any thoughts?

stephen

gear oil vs motor oil

85w = 10w40

80w = 10w30

1st Torco MTF-E 85w 13$/liters

2nd Maxima MTL 85w 10$/liters

3rd Honda HP trans 80/85 red bottle 8$/liters

4th Honda 10w40 GN4 30$/4 liters

The torco is pricey but provide better shifting, best clutch feel, still working nice after 10 hours. If you want something great at a cheap price, the Honda HP trans do a great job.

ScreenShot551.jpg

Smoothest shifting and sorted out SX65 clutch sticking in a heartbeat. Great stuff!!! :smashpc:👍

ScreenShot551.jpg

Smoothest shifting and sorted out SX65 clutch sticking in a heartbeat. Great stuff!!! :smashpc:👍

+1 awesome stuff

Thanks DarkCFR - didn't realize that it was equivalent. Do you guys change gear oil at the same time/frequency as motor oil?

Need to check my valve clearances soon....

Engine oil Amsoil 10w40 every 5-6 hours with oil filter

Trans oil Torco 85w every 10-12 hours

Yes. The Torco MTR 80W is excellent in the 250R transmission. The 85W is more for extended use like Motarding.

+1 awesome stuff

I was talking to Tokyo Mods a couple nites ago. They're using this oil, and 300V in the motor.

Read your manual but the HP Trans 80w-85w is 2 stroke oil for cr, not crf. use the Honda 10w40 GN4 without Molly ( very important ). Lots of info on this topic, do your own research, don't risk an expensive repair listening to someone who has a friend who told them to use a product. Gets expensive. Explaining to the mechanic " but my friend said to use it" doesn't pay the bill.

shrubitup, i use atf in 2st but never heard of using it in a 4st gear box. I am about to change the oil in my 2011 crf.... can i use the same motul 2st oil i use in my sons cr85 gear box?

shrubitup, i use atf in 2st but never heard of using it in a 4st gear box. I am about to change the oil in my 2011 crf.... can i use the same motul 2st oil i use in my sons cr85 gear box?

Yes, the gearbox and clutch on CRF is virtually the same as CR version.

the 2010 EFI is the first year Honda split the case so this question applies to 10-12 models. Try to find the transmission fill point on a 2009.......

nope, all CRFs have split cases... I own a 09 myself..

I use the ones below, both work well and thats what my mech recommends

Motul 3000 20w50 for transmission oil

Motul 5100 10w50 for the engine