Sign in to follow this  

Way to remove rear wheel bearing retainer without tool?

One of the bearings on the rear wheel is behind a retainer. It looks like there's a special tool to remove the retainer. Does anybody know a way to remove the retainer without one of these tools?

Its a soft nut, I borrowed a tool from my local shop, wasn't the right one and it rounded the shoulders on that nut, I ended up using a chisel and splitting it in two places and pulling it out, a new nut is only about 12 bucks.

You can use a small punch or aluminum drift to remove the collar.

The key to removal is drilling out the "peen" marks first. Use an 1/8" drill to about 1/8" depth to remove the metal. The collar will spin right out.

The nut is staked (punched at the edge to keep tight) You must drill the punch marks off before loosening. After that you should be able to use a blunt punch and small hammer to loosen the nut.

The tool is cheap, buy one and keep it in your toolbox.

ps. When you're done, stake the nut again or yse red locktite.

You can use a small punch or aluminum drift to remove the collar.

The key to removal is drilling out the "peen" marks first. Use an 1/8" drill to about 1/8" depth to remove the metal. The collar will spin right out.

You beat me by 5 min.

You beat me by 5 min.

Hahaha!:smashpc:

I can't tell you how many F'ed up hubs I've seen due to not drilling out the peened areas...that collar can almost be removed by hand once it's been done.