Sign in to follow this  

on trail communication

hey everyone, a few of my friends FINALLY got dirtbikes 👍 so I am not riding solo anymore (never much fun, I had to take it easy as i didnt want to get hurt all alone and in the hills lol)

I was wondering if any of you use two way radios or something similar to keep in contact without having to stop or use half assed hand signals while riding.

I am usually riding in front and my friends havent ridden in years, i dont like having to constantly look back to make sure they are still with me. with a radio system they could let me know if they crash and i could go help them if need be.

so what are you guys using, anything handsfree and not too much $$$ would be nice. thanks :smashpc:

No radios here. When I'm leading a ride, I have predetermined points where I wait for the others to catch up. If it takes more than a couple of minutes(depending on the riders skill level) I'll turn around and go look for them.

No radios here. When I'm leading a ride, I have predetermined points where I wait for the others to catch up. If it takes more than a couple of minutes(depending on the riders skill level) I'll turn around and go look for them.

Same here. I wait as well, but I shut it down after a minute and listen for them. As long as I hear cursing, kicking, or revving... they're fine:ride:

Radios are just another thing to carry; that can possibly break/fail. The helmet mounted ones look nice but are expensive. We use something similar in the military and when they work, they can be a bit of a burden (some people just never STFU). Fussing with them to get them to work is what makes them not worth it. Just trying to save you a few bucks and a headache:thumbsup:

When I go with my friends to Colorado or on long dual sport rides, we use radios. It does help when the group gets spread out. Especially on fire roads. You can warn those behind you of traffic and other issues easily. Plus, if someone has a problem, they can let you know what is happening. Saves time both in waiting and backtracking.

Most of the guys use a radio kit that is made by an individual out of Redding, Calif. I don't know the name of the company, but they are well made and quite reliable, but also pricey. Me, I use the head gear (mike, earphones, and toggle-to-speak switch) obtained from Rocky Mountain MC. For the radio, I use a Uniden (sp?) in VOX mode. For me, it has worked for the last three years without a problem. It is not heavy or cumbersome, but you do have wires to contend with. So, some judicious routing and securing is in order.

Good luck.

Check out pciraceradios.com. They have great helmet kit (speakers, mic, wiring harness and push to talk). It's cost about $200 for the kit not including the radio but it's well worth it over the cheaper set ups that always seem to be malfunctioning. I went through several of the cheap set ups before I made the right decision and bought a good setup. We use radios very time we go riding and they are a huge help for many reasons. Keeps everyone moving and reduces waiting and no more waiting and then tracking back looking for someone who took a wrong turn or may have gone down.

Same here. Any major intersections I just stop and wait. If im with a large group, I just ride at the back of the pack and practice my technice and help slower riders if need be.

My friends and I use the Scala Rider Q2 by Cardo. It's a Bluetooth device that clips to your helmet and will pair with your buddy, a second buddy, your cell phone and your GPS. Plus it has an FM radio tuner with up to 6 pre-set stations. It has a claimed range or 500 yards, but we have found it's more like 500 feet when you are in the trees.

It takes awhile to learn how to use it with 3 people since only 2 can talk at one time. It configures so that one person is the Master and the other 2 people are buddy 1 and 2. The Master can switch between the buddies one at a time, but the buddies can't talk directly to each other. HOWEVER, we have found a way around that if you are within cell phone range.. just pair it to your cell phone and then make a 3-way call to the other 2 buddies. We have discovered that after that, one of the 3-way people can initiate another 3-way call connection to another friend and so on.. We have had up to 5 people connected and talking with an unlimited range.. as long as you have cell phone reception.. And if you have free weekends, it's free! :smashpc:

Here are some links:

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-q2-multiset

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/scala-rider-q2/

Check and see if Thumpertalk has them.

I have 3 of them to use with riding students. Absolutely perfect for instant feedback and instruction while riding.

I have 3 of them to use with riding students. Absolutely perfect for instant feedback and instruction while riding.

How difficult is it to hook them up temporarily to your students helmets? I've been considering getting a set and just letting whoever I ride with to borrow the second one if it's not too difficult to hook it up the their helmet.

Same here. I wait as well, but I shut it down after a minute and listen for them. As long as I hear cursing, kicking, or revving... they're fine:ride:

LOL, I think that's how I'm kept track of! :smashpc:

How difficult is it to hook them up temporarily to your students helmets? I've been considering getting a set and just letting whoever I ride with to borrow the second one if it's not too difficult to hook it up the their helmet.

It clamps to the lower edge of the helmet with 2 small allen head screws. You then route the speaker wire under the helmet interior and place the small speakers on to the base of the chin strap. the speakers have the stiff velcro backing so they usually stick well to the strap or the helmet lining at the ear cups.

The microphone is a flexible boom... Look at the photos on the web pages.

If your helmet has removable padding and liners, it's really easy.

For my helmet, I've just eliminated the clamp and drilled two holes in my helmet for a permanent mount. When I don't carry the main module, I just fold the mic up and out of my view.

Next time I go for a fun ride with a buddy using my helmet cam and the Q2, I'm going to take the speaker closest to the camera and place it on the outside of the helmet just below the mic hole on the camera so we can record the ride and the communication at the same time. That way, I won't miss a single swear word during a crash! :smashpc:

hey everyone, a few of my friends FINALLY got dirtbikes 👍 so I am not riding solo anymore (never much fun, I had to take it easy as i didnt want to get hurt all alone and in the hills lol)

I was wondering if any of you use two way radios or something similar to keep in contact without having to stop or use half assed hand signals while riding.

I am usually riding in front and my friends havent ridden in years, i dont like having to constantly look back to make sure they are still with me. with a radio system they could let me know if they crash and i could go help them if need be.

so what are you guys using, anything handsfree and not too much $$$ would be nice. thanks :smashpc:

I run radios, and have for years.

It's the safest way to ride with buddies!

For those claiming "it's just another thing to carry....", so is your helmet, but you still wear it don't you?! Also, how do you meet up at a "pre-determined point" when the last guy is laying in a ditch?? Radios save you from backtracking, and wasting precious gas (when on longer rides). They are always charged and ready in my gear bag!

We ride with them, and they are super convenient and offer all kinds of things; Notifying your friends of upcoming hazards, finding your friends when brush or landscape hides them from you, no stopping to discuss your next stopping point or cafe to eat at. ... I could go on and on.

We use these headsets; http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=168&zenid=fef6f83fc2de86db562a7c8e3da15562

A bit costly, but there's a reason for it. The microphone!!! With most cheap units, you'll more than likely be asking your buddy to speak up or don't talk at all. Too much roadnoise, exhaust noise...etc to be audible. Anything over an idle, is just too much for the cheap mics to handle.

I also use them to race Baja. Or connect an iPod and listen to music when people aren't chatting away.

my dad and i had a good set back in the 80s,i think it was motorola,great sound quality and very usefull,im sure the new stuff is even better.We used it 4 way with some other buddies,and had a blast with it...that is untill i busted ass in a creek and drown mine!!!

We use the Cardo Bluetooth unit. It is connected via bt to either a VX8R Yaesu or a FTM10SR Yaesu. No cables to the unit. Very nice. These radios are ham radios so you will need to get your ham license to use them. Very good coverage and even better if you need to use the many repeaters available.

Edited by RazorKQ
added info

I run the Cardo Systems Scala Rider G4 to keep in touch with my daughter while we ride. It is a good unit overall, voice activation and speaker sound quality is good. I think its only downfall is range. Scala claims up to a mile, but in the woods and hills, a few hundred feet and around a corner on the side of the mountain and the reception gets scratchy. We usually don't get more apart than that so it hasn't been a problem.

I like the idea of the ham radio with Bluetooth though for more range and the G4 has Bluetooth capability.

I run the Cardo Systems Scala Rider G4 to keep in touch with my daughter while we ride. It is a good unit overall, voice activation and speaker sound quality is good. I think its only downfall is range. Scala claims up to a mile, but in the woods and hills, a few hundred feet and around a corner on the side of the mountain and the reception gets scratchy. We usually don't get more apart than that so it hasn't been a problem.

I like the idea of the ham radio with Bluetooth though for more range and the G4 has Bluetooth capability.

I believe the G4 is the newer model just above the Q2.. Interesting to hear the limited range compared to the claimed range.. Same thing we found on the Q2. And I use the scratchiness to determine if my partner is staying up with me or falling behind and the other way around.

We use the Cardo Bluetooth unit. It is connected via bt to either a VX8R Yaesu or a FTM10SR Yaesu. No cables to the unit. Very nice. These radios are ham radios so you will need to get your ham license to use them. Very good coverage and even better if you need to use the many repeaters available.

interesting...

I've ran the FTM-10SR, and FTM-10R on my bikes... and NEVER thought the bluetooth microphones were worth anything. They sounded horrible.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552859

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/41636-50w-Radio-for-bike-quad-or-anything-running-a-battery-Yaesu-makes-this-happen!

Something change??

Recently a buddy & I went for a two week trip up to Colorado. We also have the Cardo G4 units. As stated earlier, range varied with terrain. Open range, the distance was good. Get into heavy forest and it dropped off. But like an earlier poster noted, when it start getting scratchy audibly, it's a good indicator that we were getting out of range.

At the end of our trip, we both agreed that it was the best investment we made for our trip. It really came in handy if for nothing else than a "don't go right, it's not a good line..." :smashpc:

interesting...

I've ran the FTM-10SR, and FTM-10R on my bikes... and NEVER thought the bluetooth microphones were worth anything. They sounded horrible.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552859

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/41636-50w-Radio-for-bike-quad-or-anything-running-a-battery-Yaesu-makes-this-happen!

Something change??

I don't know if something has changed, but they work great for me. They are the Cardo units which have very good noise cancellation properties. Maybe you were using something else. The Cardo units are made for bikes. I really like my FTM-10SR's.