Sign in to follow this  

first harescramble.

expect to have fun.. unless your really really out of shape in which case it won't be as much fun.

lots of threads on riders doing first harescramble lately.. it is a blast! Gotta pace yourself, don't worry much about the start. In the c and b class, good riders will get to the front eventually, especially if your in good shape.

yea thats what my dad told me, he said just to survive. anysugguestions on safe passing and whatnot?

don't hit the other rider? :smashpc:

if you see someone in front that is holding you up, and you can see the numberplate background color is not your class you can yell "NOT IN YOUR CLASS" and hopefully they will pull out of the way to let you by when it's safe. Falling down hurts, can break even a cheap part that could end your race, and it takes lots of energy to pick the bike up. Don't take lots of chances and just stay calm. Tell yourself to breath, relax the grip on the bars from time to time, and you don't need to run that 125cc wide open like you do on an mx track.. just keep momentum up and it is much easier. Rev when you need too (mud, hills, sand, etc.)

GO FAST in the FAST sections .. You can make up more time in open areas in 5th gear, than you can taking chances in the tight trees.

see, i'm more nimble through the tree's.. i don't know how with a 260 lb bike! but idk i guess it's just one of those you have to try it to know what its like things right?

is a 125cc bike more nimble? in capable hands any bike becomes nimble. Watch the AA riders go through the woods on the 450's and let me know what ya think.

:smashpc:

Rev your motor if you want to pass, most guys will pull over. When I pull over, I really appreciate a THANK YOU! Most riders are patient and will allow you to pick a wide spot and keep going, some aren't, and will force past you if you take too long.

Look past the rider in front of you so you don't get caught in a bad line and get stuck behind him. Expect some logjams shortly after the start. Look for ways to save energy, it pays off at the end. Look for alternate lines that get you past tricky rocks, ruts, and logs more easily.

Here's a write up and video of my first harescramble I did 2 weeks ago.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1013257

The one thing I wish I had taken to heart on my first race... Getting stuck will screw your chances to do well. I got stuck in a bottle neck because I crashed trying to weave around people. If I had slowed down, looked at it, and picked a line instead of just going for it, I would have done much better.

It's a race, not a rush, and it's a LONG race at that.

is a 125cc bike more nimble? in capable hands any bike becomes nimble. Watch the AA riders go through the woods on the 450's and let me know what ya think.

:smashpc:

depends on how tired i am! i can lug that 250 around above slow forever, i can ride it hard for about and hour so happymedium! but it's only nimble till it goes down! then its a pain in the ass!

got out and tuned the hell out of it after school today got it running just about perfect, going to leave the forks till later on this week. one more question, feel stupid but, my bike came without graphics besides a yamaha on the front fender and a ttr-250 sticker on the rear fender. so am i going to need backing stickers for numbers or can i just slap my numbers on there? (remember i'm new to this! 👍 )

depends on how tired i am! i can lug that 250 around above slow forever, i can ride it hard for about and hour so happymedium! but it's only nimble till it goes down! then its a pain in the ass!

got out and tuned the hell out of it after school today got it running just about perfect, going to leave the forks till later on this week. one more question, feel stupid but, my bike came without graphics besides a yamaha on the front fender and a ttr-250 sticker on the rear fender. so am i going to need backing stickers for numbers or can i just slap my numbers on there? (remember i'm new to this! :smashpc: )

Possibly at sign up you can get some make shift numbers, electrical tape does wonders in a pinch. Hey on passing... rev your motor and hoot at the rider in front then thank him (as mentioned above). When getting passed... get to a good spot and move over, don't be the guy sleeping on the trail and try and race people burning up on you, pull over. AA guys will make a pass whether your ready or not. Have fun!

you need to find out from your organizers what is required for backgrounds.. here in FL we have lots of classes, and you need the CORRECT background (red,green,black,white,yellow) and the correct color number (black or white) as well as the "A,B,C,AA" designation.. you will likely need a spark arrestor, do you have one in your pipe? Call someone that does harescrambles, im sure there is a discussion forum for your area too..

oh yea i've got a sparky made sure of that before i started trail riding period. but i've heard around here it's like white or yellow for c class. :/ idk i'll just talk to my moms friend who egged me into doing it!

oh yea i've got a sparky made sure of that before i started trail riding period. but i've heard around here it's like white or yellow for c class. :/ idk i'll just talk to my moms friend who egged me into doing it!

if it is white or yellow, ya at least have a 50/50 shot if you pick one of those.. :smashpc:

Good idea to talk to mom's friend and get a rule book in your hand to be sure, there HAS to be a website for your local club.

In my organization my class was green backgrounds with white numbers. I had to run my back up bike at a race last year so I just printed them up on my computer and used clear packing tape to kind of laminate them and put them on. Worked in a pinch and from 20 feet you couldn't even tell...

Yes, but it should last the race. It would look pretty bad after that for like, forever...

Rule 1 of racing: it aint cheap

Rule 2: You can't win if you don't finish.

Make sure all the little maintenance items are taken care of: good cables, gearshift tight, good chain and sprockets, fresh plug, change the oil, air filter clean, good brake lining, etc. A couple people have a mechanical DNF at every race. Don't let it happen to you.

I used to think I was fast, then I entered my first race.

HAAA!

Lots of fun. I find that if I can't ride the local trails at speed for two hours straight I have a different kind of experience.

It is nice to finish a race with dignity, if you know what I mean.

Yes, but it should last the race. It would look pretty bad after that for like, forever...

he's to subborn, told him they sell cut to fit backing stickers in sheets for like 15 bucks.. you'll spend that on paint.. idk, do you NEED #'s for harescrambles? because all i've seen is guys with the paper on their front fender and they just mark you every lap.