Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone make an engine bearing kit?

I'd like to replace all of the bearings pressed into the crankcase because they feel gritty. I can't seem to find anyone selling them other than individual OEM bearings. Does anyone sell a kit containing all of the bearings I'll need ('01 YZ250)?

Thanks

I'm not sure anyone makes an engine bearing kit. I just ordered all the OEM bearings I needed, along with the OEM gaskets which were cheaper than a gasket kit. Zanotti has the best prices....

You could first take them out and then go with them to a hardware store buying quality bearings.

+1

There is nothing special about the bearings in the engine (or the wheels for that matter). Once you get them out, take the old bearings to a place that sells bearings (my local NAPA and Carquest both work with me on finding suitable replacements), and get something a lot less expensive than OEM.

You only need to match the O/D, I/D and thickness to get one that will do the job.

I just did my 09 and got all the bearings from here.

http://bdindustrial.com/company/bearings_drives.php

They are local to me, but I assume would ship, all in stock at better than OEM prices. Get the bearing number off the side (usually 4 digit numbers sometimes followed by a letter depending on seals) and call them up.

+1

There is nothing special about the bearings in the engine (or the wheels for that matter). Once you get them out, take the old bearings to a place that sells bearings (my local NAPA and Carquest both work with me on finding suitable replacements), and get something a lot less expensive than OEM.

You only need to match the O/D, I/D and thickness to get one that will do the job.

Yes but there are certain tranny bearings OEM that are sealed on one side. Not going to find those at a bearing supply.

Just take off one seal of the side you want. :smashpc: So far I know I have not seen one whith had that. Or I don't remember.

They still spec out differently. RH side of clutch drive shaft for instance.

After taking out all of the bearings and getting the numbers. I called up the local bearing distributor and got it squared away.

I found it interesting that the left and right bearings for a given shaft on the transmission were the same bearing, except on one side they would have one seal. What I found more curious was that the bearing with the seal on one side had it on the side that was pressed into the engine against the case wall. Why do they put the seal there?

The guy at the bearing place said it was cheaper to order the bearing with both seals and pry one out. After looking at the bearings that came out, it looks like the races are designed to have either two seals or none, and the ones with just one seal only had one installed but could support both. So I don't think it will be an issue if I just pull one off.

brown bearing in spokane generally has any bearing for anything on these bikes, except maybe wrist pin needle bearings.

are you going to Powder coat the cases?

Thanks, that's good to know. I ordered them from Motion Industries in Spokane. It was about $100 for all the bearings, including the crank ones. They didn't have all of them in stock though so I'll be waiting for a little bit...

I don't think I'll be doing any powder coating on this one, but I may do it on my other bike this winter.