1987 Yamaha YZM500 at Farleigh Castle VMXDN

This ultra rare works Yamaha YZM500 was one of 6 made for the 1987 season, and was ridden by 250 World Champion Neil Hudson at the VMXDN meeting at Farleigh Castle last weekend.

DSCF2049.jpg

DSCF2048.jpg

DSCF2061.jpg

It was not just ridden, but raced hard ! How good is that ? The YZM500 must have been the quietest, most powerful, and most expensive bike at the meeting. A real joy to watch.

Dave R

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Too bad Yamaha...

...made Broc Glover:bonk: ride a warmed over YZ 490, imagine if he had that against Bailey or if ya turned Hannah loose on that?:bonk:

Oh, Yamaha you so f-ed up:moon: and should have supported the open class and produced that right there, lots of guys would buy them! ?

I dont think people give Broc and RJ the credit they deserve competing production based bikes against the trickest Works bikes ever made in the history of our sport

Here is a pic of Jacky Vimond's YZM at the USGP in Hollister Ca, 1988.

I think it is Lundqvist's YZM #4 behind Jacky's.

VimondHollister.jpg

He finished one positon ahead of Broc on a "Air Hammer" YZ490, Broc

threatened to win overall, but a Haybale in the middle of the track and

a bad start in one Moto thwarted him.

makes me feel fortunate to have seen this bike in action at the '87 MXdN... one of the coolest bikes of all time!!

I was there at Dilla too! Mainly by the Gravity Cavity but I slogged through the mud to other areas too.

Got any pics from that day? I have a few, not many. PM me!

I can hear the chants of "The other side sucks!" now!

This ultra rare works Yamaha YZM500 was one of 6 made for the 1987 season, and was ridden by 250 World Champion Neil Hudson at the VMXDN meeting at Farleigh Castle last weekend.

DSCF2049.jpg

DSCF2048.jpg

DSCF2061.jpg

It was not just ridden, but raced hard ! How good is that ? The YZM500 must have been the quietest, most powerful, and most expensive bike at the meeting. A real joy to watch.

Dave R

what a gem! My brother owned the mass produced air cooled 87 yz 490

it had great power but it was a pig to start cold