Sign in to follow this  

identifying unknown engine?????

so I was Blessed with a yamaha engine a couple of months back, but the engine was connected to a go cart..........This is what I know about It

Its a Yamaha, 250cc, has DOHC, 4 valves, CDI, is electric start, 6 gears, air cooled, twin mikumi carbs(one of the carbs runs on engine speed and is not opened by twisting the the throttle but rather opens as the revs pick up-sorry for the lack of a better description :smashpc: ).

Thats about the main points I can pick up, is there any way(besides engine number) to learn about the type of engine it is and its year? My hunch is that it is a TT or possible an XT????PLEASE help 👍

the engine looks almost identical....just there is no kick starter for it at all on the engine I have!!its really strange...hence why I need some help finding out what it is....my engine does not have a decompressor because its electric start not sure if that is just coz its a "special"model engine ????????

Post the serial number. Someone will know the model code.

If I was a betting man, I'd say it was a Yamaha SR250 motor, but I didn't think they went to a DOHC design with the short lived DOHC XT250. Who knows, I'm not a Yamaha expert, I just know a guy with a 84 XT250.

I will do as soon as I can get my hands on the serial number :smashpc:...just out of curiosity does your bike have 6 gears coz that picture of the engine looks SNAP to my engine