Sign in to follow this  

Getting a used 2009 ready for the first ride

I landed a used 2009 and I'm going over everything to make sure its ready to ride this weekend.

What all needs to be tweaked on these to get them right?

So far I have greased the bearings, resealed the air box, adjusted the suspension, changed the oil and filter, air pressures, changed the air filter, and drained the gas.

I see a lot about jetting and bought the JD kit but it didn't come with the popular 172 main. :smashpc: Should I just let my kid ride it stock at first and then tune it after he gets a day in?

Thanks for your input

yep, and after he gets off the bike you get on and ride it like you stole it. work from there

.........well ............thats what i would do! just ask the kid

And bring a wire brush with...

...so you can wipe the smile from his face after he has ridden it!! 👍

Good luck!! :smashpc:

Check the spokes for safe measures. The stock rims are not the greatest. Take pleanty of gas with you! Tell him to have a safe ride and just get used to it before doing anything stupid!

The jetting is the one thing I was concerned with... just run it as is or go ahead and make the recommended adjustments found in other threads?

The jetting is the one thing I was concerned with... just run it as is or go ahead and make the recommended adjustments found in other threads?

If you already did the JD jetting, it's not going to be the same as the stock set up. If it's still stock, 172 main and a 42 pilot. They're prone to bog sometimes also with a quick snap of the throttle. On the stand is not a good way to test it. If he say's that it's bogging out of corners or not responding the way it should, you may need to change the leak jet. Usually a 45 leak jet fixes the bog issue. I suggest the adjustable leak jet. It's about $100 and they work great. Not 100% necessary, but really nice. Also if it doesn't have it, the aftermarket air/fuel mixture screw. The stock is so hard to get to and makes fine tuning the engine a real pain. They're around $15-$20.

Yeah, its still stock for now, but I went ahead and ordered the jet kit and was going to go ahead and change 'em out, but the kit came with the 180, 185, 190, 195, not the 172.

In the short time we have had it I've noticed a lot of backfiring on decel. Plus Im hoping the jetting will help it run better (maybe cooler?) and help with the starting.

So I should just run it stock when we get it on the track this weekend and see how it does?

I'm not a fan of the JD jetting kit. I can get them to run just as good. The reason the kit came with a 180 to 195 is because the needle is different. Stock, the 09 came with a 188 which is way to rich. It should have a 42 pilot which is great. It will be fine with the stock jetting the way it is. Since he's just getting on it and learning the bike, you might want to leave it alone for now. The decel pop you can try to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw out a 1/4 turn at a time. You don't want to go to far or it will vibrate it out. Then it won't run for sh!t.

Alright thanks for the info. The different needles explains it for me. I'll let him rip this weekend and just stick to adjusting the fuel screw for now.

One last thing: in the jetting lingo, is a slow jet and a leak jet the same thing? Seems Im getting different terms to id certain parts, like main jet, pilot jet etc.

thanks

Alright thanks for the info. The different needles explains it for me. I'll let him rip this weekend and just stick to adjusting the fuel screw for now.

One last thing: in the jetting lingo, is a slow jet and a leak jet the same thing? Seems Im getting different terms to id certain parts, like main jet, pilot jet etc.

thanks

Slow jet and pilot jet are the same.