Sign in to follow this  

What year 250 MXC or EXC is this bike?

Those are the 2002 graphics not 2001. The headlight would make me believe it is an EXC since the MXC wouldn't come with a headlight although the silver plastic around the headlight was originally orange so that has been changed at some point.

My guess 2002 EXC.

In the end both are good bikes if they are in good condition.

alright I just noticed one more thing, the rear "tail light" or black assembly hanging from the rear fender would not have come on the MXC so again this leads me to believe it is an EXC but it would have been easy to add these to an MXC.

Besides suspension setup the only other differences are a wide ratio (exc) vs close ratio (mxc) and the headlight on an EXC oh and odometer.

Look at at the front shocks...I'm gonna guess 99 or older as I'm not sure when the modern upsidedown shocks were placed on the 250s...I'd let that one go..

I had a 99 and it had WP 50mm conventionals forks which are not on the pictured bike. The ones on the bike in the listing are the same as what came on 00, 01, and 02 at least. That package can be made to work well but again if it's as worn as it is old then it could be a hassle. I've got no issues with my 01 200 that is set up properly, I don't think it gives up a lot vs a newer one.

Edited by TurnKey

Yeah I'm thinking '02 also, my cousin has a 2002 EXC list on criagslist also but I think it is in the Gadsden section if thats what your looking for. If I can find it I''l post a link. Very strong bikes, actually preferred it to my brother '06 300. They felt to me a little less tamed then the new ones but still had plenty of lowend grunt.

Looks like a 2000 to me. I thought those graphics were 2000? Plus the silver fork guards looks 2000 as well.

Joe........

Ding Ding I think we have the winner, you are right those graphics are from 2000.

Yeah I'm thinking '02 also, my cousin has a 2002 EXC list on criagslist also but I think it is in the Gadsden section if thats what your looking for. If I can find it I''l post a link. Very strong bikes, actually preferred it to my brother '06 300. They felt to me a little less tamed then the new ones but still had plenty of lowend grunt.

Please post it up if you do find it.

Thanks for identifying the bike.

Please post it up if you do find it.

Thanks for identifying the bike.

Hey man I cant find it, he must have already deleted the ad, I'm about 90% sure he still has it. If you'll pm me your phone number or email I'll get some pics and send to you. Were located over around Gadsden, but we go through B'ham alot going to Perry Mountain so I'm sure we could meet up or something.

With the lights on the front and rear it is probably not a mxc but an exc. I think it a 98 or 99. I live in Birmingham and have looked at that bike on c-list. 1700 is too much for that bike. I bought a 99 mxc for 1000$$$. If you're looking to buy a used bike check out JMR racing forums. They have bikes that belonged to real riders

thought we already went through this. only way to know for sure was tranny ratios if i recall. plastics and headlights can be changed and meen nothing

Even the tranny is not a perfect way to know, I have a spare 380 tranny on my work bench that I could install in this bike pretty easily. The VIN will tell the tale but from the pic my money is on a 2000. The swingarm of the 98 is the square type, 2000+ changed. The seat cover, graphics, and even the color of plastics say 2000. Sure you can change them but a 10 year old bike with the OEM original graphics, plastics, and seat cover,,,, I bet that bike is damn near all original. The only part that strikes me as odd is the headlight, I thought 2000 the headlight was orange? Cable clutch is a dead givaway for 98. 99 has a very distinctive left side case that is a hybrid of 98 and 2000+ with the old style stator cavity and the hydaulic clutch. Also, 98 and 99 have 50mm forks.

Joe.............

+1 for 2000.

my friends 2000 mxc was orange and silver.

my 02 exc is orange and black.

lights suggest exc but could have been added.

p.s.98 have conventional forks.

just run the VIN # that will tell you for sure, but its a 2000-01 either way pretty much the same bike, its not a 02, they had the clear tank, and its not 99 or earlier as they had conventional forks.

just run the VIN # that will tell you for sure, but its a 2000-01 either way pretty much the same bike, its not a 02, they had the clear tank, and its not 99 or earlier as they had conventional forks.

Mike, look again - Those (to my eyes) are conventional forks..

Those are definitely not conventional forks. I've had a 99 300 and an 01 300, still have an 01 200. Those are the same forks that are on the 00 - 02. Conventional forks have the fork guards at the top of the forks not on the bottom. Maybe you can't see it dyrtmon but those are very clearly upside down forks.

I know earlier in the thread I said the bike was an 02 but I was wrong, those graphics are definitely 00 model year. In short:

Its got stock 00 graphics and plastics minus the headlight, 00/01/02 forks, is listed as an MXC which did not come with a headlight, luckily the headlight plastic is not the original color which leads me to believe it was added later, I'm willing to bet $50 that is an 00 250 mxc with an added headlight. Any takers?