Sign in to follow this  

'91 CR125 - Parts easy to get?

May have a score on a '91 CR125. It's not in-tact but, has all it's parts. If I chose to re-furb this beast, are parts readily avail?

No, not really. Parts availability is limited. Can't get shrouds, gas tank, cylinder and some other important parts. You can get a new pipe, gaskets, piston, rings, seals and stuff like that.

No, not really. Parts availability is limited. Can't get shrouds, gas tank, cylinder and some other important parts. You can get a new pipe, gaskets, piston, rings, seals and stuff like that.

Important parts are well, important. Dang...Kinda got excited. Not sure if this changes anything...Looks like it's a 92 not a 91.

Thanks for the reply.

P.S. Looks like things changed in '93?

92' will be the same, lacking in parts availability.

Sucks manufacturers can't keep all parts available to order and have them just made to order instead of stocking them and discontinuing totally.

Go for 93' and up and you can get most of what you need, except maybe rad shrouds, everything else is still available to order as of right now. Not sure how honda works it as far as how many years till parts start being discontinued.

Most of 92-up hard parts for the CR250's are still available through Honda. I just bought a new OEM 92-96 CR gas tank.

The 93-up CR125 parts supply is good too.

Most of 92-up hard parts for the CR250's are still available through Honda. I just bought a new OEM 92-96 CR gas tank.

The 93-up CR125 parts supply is good too.

He's looking for one two five, not two five oh.............. campy 👍

Did lee get out of the bath yet ? when he does, make sure you ask him about pastrami......... :smashpc: lol

He's looking for one two five, not two five oh.............. campy 👍

Did lee get out of the bath yet ? when he does, make sure you ask him about pastrami......... :smashpc: lol

Reading comprehension issues?

Reading comprehension issues?

Got an A+ in it....... you mentioned, 250, this is only about 125 :smashpc:

No, TT still shows everything, even if it's no longer available. This is good because unlike other sites that don't even show certain parts anymore if they are deemed unavailable, this way with TT you can still get the part number and search for it in ebay or google.

IMO, on a 125, I wouldn't go any older then the 95. I did a restore on a 94 and finding some of the parts for it was pure hell. Aftermarket support pretty much cuts off at 95.

Most of the 93-97 CR125 parts interchange. Almost everything for them is still available with the exception of the 93-94 side number plates. That can easily be solved by using '95-97 airbox and number plates if you just need functional replacements.

Edited by CamP

Most of the 93-97 CR125 parts interchange. Almost everything for them is still available with the exception of the 93-94 side number plates. That can easily be solved by using '95-97 airbox and number plates if you just need functional replacements.

Yes, a lot of parts do interchange. Engine parts are enterchangeable which makes things nice, but here are a list of parts that changed from 94 - 95 and are hard to find:

Front wheel

Foot pegs

front number plate(probably the front forks and triples too)

swing arm/linkage/shock bearings (the 94 shock lower bearing is exclusive to 94 to top that off)

frame guards

side plate plastics (can be fixed by buying a 95 air box which is what I did and converted my bike to 95+ plastics, it is an extra $50+ though even used).

chain slider

Hard to find parts on all the steel framed 125's include:

enduro skid plate (I got lucky on ebay once and found one and snatched it up.)

Aftermarket radiators

Graphics kits

Seat foam and seat covers

I am sure there are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 94, it is a blast to ride and with the 144 bb kit it really rips. If I were to do it again, I would go with a 250 instead of a 125 since there is more aftermarket support for the steel framed 250's but if I were going to stick with the 125, I would definately start with the 95-97 and not have to bother with having to buy extra parts to convert it to a platform that is more supported.

Being a vintage and/or post vintage racer sometimes takes a bit of resourcefulness.

BTW, the 95-96 OEM CR seats are still available and they fit on the 92-up CR250 and 93-up CR125.