Sign in to follow this  

how long are hill climbers swingarms?

I am working on design for a snowbike conversion kit that will be universal for all bikes, my initial ideas move the point where the axle for the tire used to be back 5" to 8", so its kinda like running an extended swing arm. how much longer are those swing arms and do you have to beef up the shock to deal with the added leverage? any info would be great, if this works it will be a really cool product!

In local hill climb comp, altered trophy class can extend the wheelbase up to 66 inches. I think the pros are unlimited on wheelbase extension. Most of them looked to me like they were extended 24"-40", but without actually having measured, that is just a guesstimate.

Pretty much all the bikes I saw looked to be stretched significantly more than 5"-8".

Bear in mind that steering behavior in a hill climber is only marginally important, and that cornering is simply not an element of the sport.

yep, I am trying to keep the "swing arm" length as short as possible to keep the point of pivot (where the bike with the wheel used to pivot on) as close as possible to make the snow bike act as close to a bike as I can, I know it will never be exactly the same but its just a goal for now

im almost tempted to make my own track for my bike.

go to timbersled.com. look at their testimonies page for the mountain horse. I build a kit for my 125 lastyear, i copied their kit as close as I could and even for a 125 it was a f*%$in blast, I sold my sled and my 125 to buy a 450 and I will never go back, now I am trying to design my own kit, so dont take my idea:smirk:.

iv looked at there stuff befor.

in reality it wouldnt be to hard. get some sliders/rails off of a sled, get the wheels and a track(i think it would be the hardest part) and away you go. a bit of fabing and figuring and alot of beer and youd have a snow bike in no time. get a niffty ski-doo duble carbide floater skie for the front and away she would go.

iv looked at there stuff befor.

in reality it wouldnt be to hard. get some sliders/rails off of a sled, get the wheels and a track(i think it would be the hardest part) and away you go. a bit of fabing and figuring and alot of beer and youd have a snow bike in no time. get a niffty ski-doo duble carbide floater skie for the front and away she would go.

that is exactly what I did, ski doo ski and everything. just looked at alot of videos and pics, it was about 3 cases of beer:thumbsup: and it took about a month to get it going good. but this time its a entire new design, I should be posting pics by late winter. the hard part is none of the kits are trail worthy so thats my goal. the doo ski worked but to skinny for good flotation. lots of good ideas on the way. I talked to an expert shock rebuilder he said to get a 100lbs higher spring rate spring and I should be good