EG 295 top end parts?

So I have a complete spare top end that needs plating. My plan is to send it out to EG for a 295 build in either mid/top or the broad porting.

My main concern is that once I go 295cc, I'm locked in to EG for the piston and gasket kits... Which leads to my questions:

How good is the availability of top end rebuild parts/kits from EG? does he carry plenty of stuff in stock? Ship them in a reasonable time, etc?

Are there any alternatives (off the shelf top end parts) for the 295cc?

Hey - funny I was just going through my extra parts (yz 300) and had the same thought. I've ordered a few top end kits w/o incident, but I order a few months ahead of time with extra parts.

I just got off the Wesco site ( looking for the replacements parts) and from what I could find was that the rings (2835cd), pin & bearings (b1003) clips (cw18)are commonly made, but the piston is custom as is the top gasket so I think that Wesco could make them for you, if ER stopped getting them, but part of this is a custom process. For what its worth. . . It doesn't appear that a 72mm piston has been made for the yz since the late 80's and might not be comparable in the late yz.

Maybe someone out there can enlighten us?

Eric gorr orders the pistons in 500 piece orders. He has real fast shipping. I wouldnt worry about not being able to get one from him. Ive had countless engines redone from eric and tons of top ends. Hes stand up top notch. Most times when I know I need a piston I call him up and tell him to send one. Ill have in on my steps in 1-2 days. There is no a,b,c,d pistons for a 295. So just order one and let it sit on your shelf and ride hard.

Yes eric custom order most all his pistons even the stock bore pistons I do believe. I dont think weisco will make you one unless you get the cad file from eric. Eric dosnt overcharge for the pistons. The 295 pistons and gaskets I get from him are cheaper then I use to spend on stock pistons and a gasket kit. I have well over 200 hours on my 295. I live close by erics shop ive been there few times I wouldnt worry about not being able to get parts from him as long as you dont expect to have them same day. Contact the guy he will make it right no matter what.

Just like ive told just about everybody If you want to know more about gorr ask him. He will yack your ear off if hes got time. Ive tipped back a few corona's with the guy. His shop is huge trust me it would take allot for him close his doors. Eric knows more about 2 strokes then anybody I know. I would not worry one bit about getting parts from him as long as he has propper lead time.

Thanks guys. I wasn't worried about him closing his doors or anything. Just maybe not having them in stock or having big lead times, etc. Sounds like it's a non issue though.

It was all the good reviews on the 295 builds here that convinced me to try one. I think I'm going with the mid/top porting since it sounds like it still increases the low end vs a stock 250.

If Eric stopped selling stuff tomorrow, the other companies woudl buy this piston, or the rights, from him. The big-bore piston Eric designed is THAT good.

Actually, its surprising to learn who designed most of the pistons for Max Power, RPM, etc. I could say, but it would take away all the fun.

Go with the mid to top. You still get a lot more off the bottom and the top will put a smile on your face.

I've yet to hear anyone complain about any porting Eric does, but "Better all around" is amazing because it does just what it says. I woudl call it smooth, but smooth sounds slow....and its not slow.

I would love to try low-mid.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know, you need to send in your own parts.

I picked up a spare complete top end for that same reason. It has some worn out plating around the exhaust port but everything else is fine. Look at some auction sites, they pop up on there all the time.

I bought a worn out cylinder from ebay and had the other parts for the core. The pv was a waste since it was thrashed. Erics price on a powervalve was much less than a dealer, so contact him first before paying a lot for used cores.

Honestly, it gives a little piece of mind to have a complete set-up gathering dust, but in the event of problems, I'll fix up the 300 kit vs going back to 250.

The pv was a waste since it was thrashed. Erics price on a powervalve was much less than a dealer, so contact him first before paying a lot for used cores.

Really, how much of the powervalve remains usable after machining on the 300? It is substantially reduced on my 265, so I can imagine not much is left after the 300 cylinder is bored and the valve is machined to match?

thx for the intell. the bike is actually my son's. he's on a plane to Afganistan right now. i want to have the 295cc kit installed and ready for him to ride when he get's back.

Much respect to your son for signing up and heading over here. ?

Very cool of you to mod the bike while he's away.

My take on keeping the spare stuff was to race the 250cc class on the other bike.

Really, how much of the powervalve remains usable after machining on the 300? It is substantially reduced on my 265, so I can imagine not much is left after the 300 cylinder is bored and the valve is machined to match?

A little is machined away, but nothing serious. Its not like th eold, pre 99 motor where you had to cut it in half.

The old powervalve in my ebay cylinder deal had the stops broken so it was a worthless core piece to use for a 300 kit.