Sign in to follow this  

How to get bearings out of the link?

I'm replacing linkage bearings. So far I've been able to press all the old bearings through the piece that has three holes (not sure what it's called). My question is about getting bearings out of the other piece. I think it's called the link, or maybe it's called a rod? It the piece is replaced with a Kouba link. I went to try and press the old bearings all way through and out the other side, but then I noticed is appears the bearings may be pressed in against a lip that prevents the bearings from being pressed in any farther. Does anybody know if this is the case? Is my only option to pull the bearings out of their respective sides? I've tried searching old threads, but not finding much.

Thanks!

I also learned today that aluminum expands at about twice the rate of steel when heated. Since the link is aluminum and the bearing steel, heating them both either with a torch or in an oven should help with trying to remove the bearing.

I'll also do the old trick of putting the new bearings in the freezer before pressing them in the link (heated again).

Pounding out with a screwdriver worked on the first side. When I tried the other side it just started mangling the bearing container. Since the one bearing was out and I could get a socket through there, I was able to press it out with the socket.

I heated the link and froze the bearing before pressing them in. I'm not sure how much difference that made. By the time I got to the fifth bearing, it wasn't really that hot anymore.

The needle bearings easily to fall out as your working. To prevent that I wadded up the little piece of plastic the bearing was wrapped in and stuffed it inside to hold the bearings in place for the time being.