Sign in to follow this  

150r or cr85?

I have a 2006 cr85 right now and i want to get a 150rb for the track. Do you think I should stick with my 85 for track or get a 150rb?

I believe the 85's are faster in the straights, but the 150's are faster in the turns...they both make about the same peak power...the 85 is a little lighter... so in the end I believe it comes down to your pref

I have a 2006 cr85 right now and i want to get a 150rb for the track. Do you think I should stick with my 85 for track or get a 150rb?

Send your cylinder and head to Eric Gorr and have him build you a 105cc supermini. Best of both worlds.

My 12 year old races a CR85 expert and has tried the CRF150R and hated it. Granted he has been fast on 2T since starting out at 3 years old. We are picking up a low hour 2007 CR125 for him this weekend. He likes the power and handling of the CR over the CRF. We also have a 250f that my 16 rear old races and my 12 year old has tried it out and is not fond of it at all.

But if you ask my 16 year old he can't stand 2Ts. He has messed with YZ85's, CR85's but really found his speed on the 4Ts. It has been a blast working with my sons and their bikes. I would find someone that would be willing to let you compare the 2 bikes. Spend some time on the 150r (not just a few laps) even try it at a couple of different tracks.

Both bikes are a good platform. Have fun

As stated above, the two bikes are differrent and your son's riding style will dictate which is better for him. The 06 CR85 is a good bike, it's light, but requires good clutch/throttle control, less forgiving. The CRF150R is a little heavier, but more forgiving if you aren't in the right gear or RPM range.

If your son wants to stay with the 2-stroke, what you can do is convert the CR85 into a CR85RB. Requires the 19" front rim, 16" rear rim, swingarm, rear brake line, and chain and sprockets. I just converted my son's 05 and it was a good project for us.

Just remember to let him be involved in the decision. That will keep him more interested in riding.

Jim

As stated above, the two bikes are differrent and your son's riding style will dictate which is better for him. The 06 CR85 is a good bike, it's light, but requires good clutch/throttle control, less forgiving. The CRF150R is a little heavier, but more forgiving if you aren't in the right gear or RPM range.

If your son wants to stay with the 2-stroke, what you can do is convert the CR85 into a CR85RB. Requires the 19" front rim, 16" rear rim, swingarm, rear brake line, and chain and sprockets. I just converted my son's 05 and it was a good project for us.

Just remember to let him be involved in the decision. That will keep him more interested in riding.

Jim

LOL! I just forced my son onto the 125 this spring. He complained about it for a couple rides (didn't like how big it felt to him). I let my brother in law take the 125 on a camping trip and my son rode the 80 again while the 125 was gone and then complained about how small it was. Sometimes you just have to tell the kid what he wants. 👍:smashpc:

My 12 year old races a CR85 expert and has tried the CRF150R and hated it. Granted he has been fast on 2T since starting out at 3 years old. We are picking up a low hour 2007 CR125 for him this weekend. He likes the power and handling of the CR over the CRF. We also have a 250f that my 16 rear old races and my 12 year old has tried it out and is not fond of it at all.

But if you ask my 16 year old he can't stand 2Ts. He has messed with YZ85's, CR85's but really found his speed on the 4Ts. It has been a blast working with my sons and their bikes. I would find someone that would be willing to let you compare the 2 bikes. Spend some time on the 150r (not just a few laps) even try it at a couple of different tracks.

Both bikes are a good platform. Have fun

i find that very hard to beleve. the 250f is a great bike.

i find that very hard to beleve. the 250f is a great bike.

Glad you like yours. I like mine too. This kid didn't like his. No biggie.

Thanks Guys For all of your opinions! My friend has a 150rb and hes gonna let me ride it at the track I hope and ill see how I do!