Sign in to follow this  

California riders from Davis?

Anyone in Davis? I brought my bike with me to school this quarter and am looking to get some riding in..

I'm still somewhat of a beginner so I'm not sure I can keep up with some of you guys.

Looking to ride both weekdays and weekends.

I use to live in Davis, just recently moved a little further south. I rode a decent amount, but usually by myself and mid week. I had an OHV pass and started riding the tracks at Praire City & Mammoth Bar. I primarily rode the tracks because if my bike broke it was a short walk back, or if I got hurt there were people there. And the tracks are hardly intimidating even if you are a beginner. A great way to practice your braking and cornering.

Both are about an hour or so from Davis. I met a lot of nice regulars at the tracks. They usually groom PC track on Thursday AM so Thursday afternoon or Friday morning was when I was usually out there.

Depends on if you ride tracks or trail. For tracks there's Argyle in Dixon which is like 15 minutes from you. Then there are about 5 that are all ~1hr from you.

Not much trail riding in your immediate area, you have to head to either the coast hills or the sierras for that. Best way to get in the know is to just try to link up with someone who is doing a ride on here, or PM someone who rides a lot and ask to be included.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've only ridden Prarie City so far and it's a fun little place that isn't too far. I haven't ridden Forest Hill or Mammoth Bar but I'm always in Auburn riding mountain bikes.

I had a quick question about the type of riding around here.. Seems like while I'm in Davis, I'll be riding Prarie City, Forest hill, mammoth bar.. and maybe Elkin's Flat when I have free time. How are the trails out here? I've Husky TXC 250 that's rides great. It's beginner friendly and it seems to have enough power so I can progress onto it for awhile. However, I've been lusting after a 144/150 2 stroke like the Husky or KTM.

I know with tighter stuff, not so big ruts/roots/rocks, I may enjoy the lighter/nimble 2 stroke more, but with more fire road, larger rocks, and huge hills, I may feel better on the 4 stroke. What kind of bike do you guys recommend for the riding in the area?

I know with tighter stuff, not so big ruts/roots/rocks, I may enjoy the lighter/nimble 2 stroke more, but with more fire road, larger rocks, and huge hills, I may feel better on the 4 stroke. What kind of bike do you guys recommend for the riding in the area?

A Honda XR650R.:smashpc: