Sign in to follow this  

Unscrew silencer - 2009 KTM 300

I'm going to order some exhaust packing soon for my 2nd hand KTM 300. I tried opening up the siliencer to look inside but I'm really struggling to get it apart.

I managed to remove the star-shaped bolt (19) and the large washer underneath that (18) but I'm unable to remove the rubber part (16). It is called 'SILCENCER RUBBER 2-STROKE' in my spare parts manual.

I tried getting a flathead screwdriver underneath to pry it out but just put a hole in the rubber. I tried spraying wd-40 and pulling on the whole rear cover (15) but still wouldn't budge. Any ideas?

085480511.gif&width=800&height=800

Don't worry about the rubber piece. Just tap, pull the silencer apart from the stinger. A dead blow or rubber mallet works well.

Gmoss sorry to sound ignorant but is the stinger the end of the pipe or is it the part that attaches to the expansion chamber?

Would you mind giving me a bit more detail of what you mean by giving it a blow? I do have a rubber mallet here.

Yes the end that connects to the pipe. Once the star nut is off, the can with both end caps should come off that end, leaving the preforated inner pipe and packing behind.

Part 17 and the outer housing slide off the end.

wait on my orignal 250 sx 03,i only needed to unbolt 2 screws on the cap and id give a blow on the stinger or pull it apart holding there and it came off.

wait on my orignal 250 sx 03,i only needed to unbolt 2 screws on the cap and id give a blow on the stinger or pull it apart holding there and it came off.

I'm guessing it was a style change.

My 04 125 SX:

d7868dc4.jpg

07 250 XC-W:

667cba89.jpg

The tool is in the tool kit that comes with the bike, the one you get the plug off with.