Calling all 01 RM 250 owners,, need some info on the choke adjuster

I know this has been cover before, but I can't find it. Does anyone know what effect the choke knob adjuster has on the carb? Does it richen and lean the fuel mixture. If so how does it work? Turning it all the in does what and turning out does what? I am thinking 12 clicks out from turned all the way in is factory setting but not 100% on that.

My issue is. I have a 48 pilot in with 12 clicks out and the air screw 1 1/2 turns out. I have this massive surging Idle only after it warms up. Before you ask no there are no air leaks. I have changed the crank seals before and it didn't help. I just got the engine back together from a complete rebuild. New replated cylinder, piston, repacked silencer, new seals and bearings throughout. Before the motor went down, I put a 45 in it but had to run the choke knob out 25 clicks to get it to run. I am just confused by this whole damn thing. help a brutha understand why no matter what I do I have this surging Idle.

Oh, I guess I need to mention the only thing that has never been changed are the reeds but they look to be in great shape.

Hey jackson409, glad to hear the 01 is back and smokin. the choke adjustment is supposed to be 12 clicks(2 turns) out. the clymer repair manual calls it - Idle mix(choke)knob adjustment. It may have something to do with your problem. hey if you need to know something else let me know i have a repair manual for an 2001 250.

• Helpful 1

Ok, so that I am not banging my head against the wall, turn it in clockwise all the way till it stops, then turn it 12 clicks out counter clockwise? I Just want make sure its not the oppisite like all the way out counter clockwise and then 12 clicks in clockwise.

I have a 2000 with the choke-mix adjuster. I cant rember what pilot jet is in there, but its a bit rich. Turning the adjuster 17-20 clicks out cleans it up nicely. Therefore, i believe that cw is more rich at idle- ccw is leaner at idle.

I have a 2000 with the choke-mix adjuster. I cant rember what pilot jet is in there, but its a bit rich. Turning the adjuster 17-20 clicks out cleans it up nicely. Therefore, i believe that cw is more rich at idle- ccw is leaner at idle.

I ended up putting a 45 pilot back in and still had the surge Idle then turned the air screw in to 1 turn out and still had a slight surge so I turned out the clicker to 16 and it all went away. It still has a small amount of rasp off idle in the very bottom but I can live with that, Once you crack it,,it comes to life and is very clean all the way through. Running pretty darn good now! :smashpc:

On 9/29/2011 at 8:44 PM, RM Racer94 said:

Hey jackson409, glad to hear the 01 is back and smokin. the choke adjustment is supposed to be 12 clicks(2 turns) out. the clymer repair manual calls it - Idle mix(choke)knob adjustment. It may have something to do with your problem. hey if you need to know something else let me know i have a repair manual for an 2001 250.

So it adjust the idle? Does the idle have something to do with the air/fuel mix (like the air screw)?