Sign in to follow this  

NewYork any hope of plating a CRF250X in New York state?

I can't afford a euro bike and want something higher performance than a DR-Z.

Any pointers would be great. I don't want to have to pull anything shady to get the plate. I want the plate in case I do the odd enduro/HS; I believe all local series require street legal.

Again, I'd be on an FE390 or 450EXC or a TE in a heartbeat if I had the coin.

big thanks for any help.

only way to do it is to find one that is already plated with a street title from another state.

Its all in your attitude and the DMV you go to and the clerk you get. I have gotten all my bikes plated just by going in and treating the right person the right way. I also got passenger plates, as opposed to commercial, for my 8,000 lbs. chevy truck. Most of the schmucks around here dont look at or read the title and wouldnt even know what the part that said "off-road use only" means. Try it, worst case scenario, they say no and your in the same spot as you are now.

Its all in your attitude and the DMV you go to and the clerk you get. I have gotten all my bikes plated just by going in and treating the right person the right way. I also got passenger plates, as opposed to commercial, for my 8,000 lbs. chevy truck. Most of the schmucks around here dont look at or read the title and wouldnt even know what the part that said "off-road use only" means. Try it, worst case scenario, they say no and your in the same spot as you are now.

I get you, but that would be if I already had the CR250X! I'm still shopping.

Rumor has it that if you plate in VT (which you can do), NY accepts the plate as street legal.

But outside of that, note that your title will read "off road use only, so plating in NY would be an up-hill battle". Also note that even if you do get plated, you still can get ticketed for having knobs, no mirrors, turn signals, etc.

In fact the X doesn't even have a brake light (why I don't know because even on the trails, it's nice to know when someone is on the binders).

I think you'll find through that most events are not checking too closly if your entirely legal. Usually a ATV plate and insurance can be gotten away with, but then your never sure until the day of the event if your going to have a problem or not.

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

search cragslists by state (NY). type in street legal youll find l some plated dirt bikes. I found my plated 03 450EXC that way.

Agreed, got my dirtbike street registered no problem.

getting a plate in VT will prob be your best route, ive got a exc 530 legal here in NY but just bought a berg TE300 that will be getting a green VT tag here real soon, as long as it has a head and tail light, just be sure and take the bike with you just so they can check vin number, sometimes they check and sometimes they dont.. but even with a VT tag your still not legal without all the above mentioned stuff and a up to date inspection from VT which you cant get with-out all the lights, a real pain in the ass. there must be a way around it here in NY because a buddy of mine out toward cuse bought a cr450r that was plated and reg for the street, so somebody figured it out..

Where I live, it doesn't matter how nice you are or how many donuts you bring to the DMV; it's just not happening. Out-of-state conversion was the only answer :smashpc:

I actually registered and insured at a friends house in Maine for for a year or two before bringing it back. It was no easy task, though. It took at least two trips and lots of circus tricks, but I didn't mind because I go up there pretty frequently.

Where I live, it doesn't matter how nice you are or how many donuts you bring to the DMV; it's just not happening. Out-of-state conversion was the only answer :smashpc:

Agreed, same thing here in Monroe County. Every single DMV employee is an entitled jerk who treats every customer like they are a piece of garbage who is trying to pull one over. It doesn't matter how in order your paperwork is, if the DMV bitch says you don't have a certain requirement (despite what the rule book says) then you are screwed. I hate the DMV.