Sign in to follow this  

Ed and gearheads will like this

So this :smashpc: Suzuki I bought has been giving me problems. Make a long story short, the cylinder was shot so I bought one off Ebay. I thought it was going to be a direct replacement but the power valves were different. Trying to read the Suzuki diagrams is like trying to decypher heiroglyphics. They say a part fits another year but it really doesn't, it's just included in the model series because they combine a bunch of bikes on one diagram. :busted:

Anyway, the 96 powervalves are egg shaped and the 95 are round. But the have the same basic large diameter. 👍

IMG_2783.jpg

I found a large washer I used as a ring guage and guide, then busted out my files.

IMG_2786.jpg

This gave the lathe something to grab that wasn't eccentric and I nibbled away.

IMG_2798.jpg

The cut path was nice and straight, not tapered, so I knew I had it chucked in straight. Before I started I moved the cutter close to the valve and rocked the chuck back and fourth to center the piece.

IMG_2792.jpg

I got it within like .05 and did a final fitting with sandpaper.

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

Good job J. That does look like something I would do LOL. It is funny how we get use to the way say Kawasaki does things and other brands seem odd. I am more a Chevy guy but have a ford (67 Ranchro) that I play with and it is odd for me to work on.

I do speek older VW though and have spent the last week changing the transaxle in my buggy to a type 2 or bus transaxle, been making afew parts for that. It runs a older Subaru motor and I hope to drive it out of the shop later today.

Keep up the good work.......and this Suzuki will be kinda like one of my bikes.......you wouldn't want to buy it used LMAO.

Ed

I got it running last night. It's running so-so, going to pull the carb today and see what's going on. I'm going to lower it around 2 inches or so and maybe shave the seat for my stepson. He'll be 14 in Feb so an 80 would be a waste of time right now.

I still only have $498 into this thing, including the cost of the bike. I sold what I took off. I'd probobly be around the $430-440 mark if it wasn't for shipping charges and Ebay fees.

Cleaning and tweaking today.

IMG_2804.jpg

That's really cool!:smashpc:

I wish I had a lathe here at the house. Got welders out the wazoo at work, but the machine shop is at the other plant on the other side of Springfield.

Another guy I know is dealing with the Suzuki blues at the moment too. Bent the end of the crank on his '02 RM, found that the '02 crank is a unique (and seemingly rare) item.

I guess the 96 125's were one-off jobs too. The 95 cylinder has different power valves and the 97 has a different pv cover, 97+ is probobly when they moved to the shorter cylinder...I guess.

You should really look into a lathe. I found mine on craigslist, actually was buying a chipper and saw the poor lathe in a rickety shed so I asked about it. It didn't really have much tooling and I had to refab the drive system. But the lathe itself works perfectly. I only paid $100 for it. Spent another $150 for the motor. The lathe did come with a set of change gears (for threading) that I just sold for $200. I figured I would never need to make SAE threads anyway, so I sold them to a collector. It's not the most precise thing being 1920's, but it's great for suspension spacers and crap like that. I wouldn't go making some NASA part or anything. haha

nice work. But you know, the true fix for all of this would have been to just put a Kawi motor in it.:smashpc: