Sign in to follow this  

XR650R shift lever on a XR650L? Need to make it to the track tomorrow!

Searched high and low but cant find a concrete answer. I'm looking to replace my shift lever in time for a trackday tomorrow, only thing any local dealers have in stock is an aftermarket lever for a 00-03 XR650R. I have a 2009 KLX250SF but have read that the XR650L shifters offer much more clearance (stock one keeps bending and scraping engine). I know that the XR650L is extremely similar to the XR600, and shares almost no parts with the XR650R...but I was hoping someone have some input if I should drive a few hours to this dealer or not.

The XR650L offers plenty of extra needed clearance and fits great on the KLX250SF, so as long as the XR650R is even roughly similar it should work.

Big thanks ahead of time guys, last supermoto trackday of the year and this will be my first time!

I doubt it will work. The XRL shifter sticks out a lot further than the XR600R due to the depth of the flywheel. The engine sticks waaaaaay out on the shifter side. An XR600R shifter will not work on an XRL and I doubt seriously that an XR65R shifter will either. If your original shifter is banging on your engine, it is likely because it is loose. If it does not make a solid connection on the shifter shaft it will allow the the shifter to hit the engine.

Besides, it actually prevents damage to the shift shaft and dogs by bending so easily.

Just make sure the splines are clean and it's attached tightly and you're good to go. Reshape as necessary.

A lot of people glue a piece of metal to the side of the case to protect it from the shifter. I have some made up if you want one. $10 to your door. I was selling them on eBay for a bit, but I have a few kicking around if you are interested.

PM me.