Sign in to follow this  

Spark plug color chart

Hi guys

with sparkplug colors we read how our engine run. I'd like to see a darker brown on mine but it seems next to impossible without more material as needles, slides etc.

Well so I came across this Chart and it shows a wide range of plug colors I though which would be way to lean. Specially 17 to 24

What is your opinion about them?

I think those pics are from a 4-stroke engine and that could account for the differences in acceptable appearance. If my plug came out of my YZ250 looking the same as the one from my CRF450 I would freak !

Yep, they are from the 4 stroke engines but I think some info we can get out too. So far I believe it is more the color of the ground electrode and not the ceramic which give us the info if running lean or running rich. Correct?

Running pump gas, in a 2S you have dry (good), wet (you ride too slow and never let the bike heat up) and oil fouled (too rich or too much oil in the mox) . A 4S has about the same. Except you have serious engine issues if it is oli fouled. These days, all your plugs will look like #12

hmm mine comes out more like #11 although the ceramic is kind like #20. I was under the impresson that the ceramic showed the engine running, but it seems like it has gone to the ground electrode.

I have problems to get spark plug over here so a plug chop is something I'd like to avoid. The pictures look quite old so it could have a 20 years already. But it shows the most possibilties.

Arne, mine is like you say, tends to be lighter on the ceramic but darker on the rim and first 3 threads. This is because 2-stroke oil tends to collect there and up into the threads. That's why I wouldn't pay too much attention to 4-stroke plugs for your bike.

If your ceramic looks like #20 I would say you are slightly lean. Try going up 1 size on whichever circuit you tend to ride in the most. Maybe raise the needle 1-clip position.