Sign in to follow this  

XR200 Street conversion?

Just picked up a 1996 XR200 that was lady driven once in 1997 and sat untill now for 500$, bike is 100% like new (Was stored in heated garage).

Bike was once street legal but Government laws requires improvements.

Bike has a Headlight and Breaklight/Taillight but Needs signal lights, mirrors and Horn.

I Only have a few questions... I can easily make a controll box for flashers, fuses, and relays, but will the bike have the power to run the lights without a battery? (never had a battery) \

And Is the power 12v AC like a snowmobile output or is it 12vDC?

Thanks guys

RatRod

I'm not sure about power output as I haven't actually used my coil yet but I do know its 12v AC and I'm about 80% sure the chassis is a ground definitely let someone else confirm that.

If the alternator has two wires out the chassis is ground for the lights, if three wires out then no ground for the alternator lighting section output. The 86-88 models had a grounded lighting circuit and a factory AC regulator was available. Clymer says the alternator is 105 watts at 5000rpm so you should have plenty of power.

You will need DC for a horn unless you can find an AC horn. I converted a XR200 to DC by using a TrailTech rectifier/regulator and a TrailTech capacitor as a battery substitute.